Bright Light Switch Works Backwards

Dec 17, 2016
Hello, I'm the new owner of a bone stock 92 notch that I am going to use as a daily driver. I owned an 89 GT from 92 to 03 so I'm not exactly new to the Fox body.

The problem I am having is my bright light bulb on the dash is on all the time and the switch works backwards. The bright lights come on with the lever close to the steering wheel and the dims work with the lever back away from the wheel. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Hello, I'm the new owner of a bone stock 92 notch that I am going to use as a daily driver. I owned an 89 GT from 92 to 03 so I'm not exactly new to the Fox body.

The problem I am having is my bright light bulb on the dash is on all the time and the switch works backwards. The bright lights come on with the lever close to the steering wheel and the dims work with the lever back away from the wheel. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks
I would bet the switch has been changed once and the wires got ' unpinned' and just didn't get back in the correct holes. Maybe you can find the wiring diagram here or tmoss.
I could summon @jrichker to help if he is not to busy solving world problems and keeping birds from falling from the sky.

Reactions: 1 user
As suggested...

Multifunction turn signal switch:
Before you think about replacing the multifunction switch with one from the junkyard, here are some things to be aware of...

The problem is more common in GT models because they had fog lights on the same power wiring as the headlights. Ford undersized the wire and that caused problems.

A word of caution about multifunction switches is in order here. The multifunction switch (high/low beam, wiper, turn signals) are different for different years. 87-98 will work in any 87-89 car. The 90-93 switches only work in 90-93 cars. You can't put an early model switch in a late model car, nor can you put a late model switch in an early car.

Supposedly you can move the pins around to make the switches work in model years that are different from the car the switch came out of. I cannot verify that and haven’t tried it.

Other possible problem sources for the turn signal & headlight malfunction are the ignition switch, multifunction switch and the plastic shell that holds the turn signal wiring connector pins.

The following diagram is for 87-89 model cars.

Turn signal switch wiring:
attachment.php?attachmentid=35089&d=1117654157%20.gif
The following diagram is for 90-93model cars.

Turn signal switch wiring:
?temp_hash=b51bc221374cd74935f89f5677f78d9b.jpg