Brights switch backwards

nards444

Feb 18, 2020
NY
Getting my dash back in order and at the last thing. When you turn the lights on the bright light indicator comes on and so does the brights. When you push the lever forward for brights regular lights stay come on and the bright indicator stays on. So something is backwards here.

With that said the light switch is aftermarket and only has lights doesnt have the fog lights switch. Old owner looks to have cut the fog lights out and has OEM style but after market lights. Eventually I get to the point of putting fogs back in. But after monkeying around trying to figure out for now the issue with the lights.

• Sponsors (?)

after looking at it further. The wire harness at the switch is factory and original. The plug going into the light is factory and original and the bulb is a standard 9007 halogen. Lends me to believe the switch must be different, doesnt make sense as the LX and GT was virtually the same. But I want fog lights at some point anyways so getting the right switch is a step.

So for fog light switch, get this if you can't find an OEM one...

Both LX and GT have the fog light wiring in the dash, LX just doesn't have the switch. Back in the day I installed some aftermarket driving lights and tied it into the factory wiring and sourced a GT headlight/fog light switch combo to make it all work.

I know the turn signal switch on the steering column (includes the high beam switch) does vary by year. Looking at LMR, it looks like 87-89 and 90-93 are different (wired different too). You could have the wrong year switch with your factory wiring.

So for fog light switch, get this if you can't find an OEM one...

Both LX and GT have the fog light wiring in the dash, LX just doesn't have the switch. Back in the day I installed some aftermarket driving lights and tied it into the factory wiring and sourced a GT headlight/fog light switch combo to make it all work.

I know the turn signal switch on the steering column (includes the high beam switch) does vary by year. Looking at LMR, it looks like 87-89 and 90-93 are different (wired different too). You could have the wrong year switch with your factory wiring.
Who knows what people do to these cars over the years. The car always was a GT. It does the have the LX taillights which wouldnt matter for this. I did find the switch you posted and bought it. The turn signal switch looks to be original.
Well see if the switch I bought fixes it, if not everything works and probably as far as Im going to go with it.

The headlight switches are interchangeable. There is no difference in how they are wired. You can put a switch with the fog lamps into an LX, plug in the fog lamp wire, and have power at the fog rail pigtails. Everything else will work as it should.

turn signal switches are different though. There’s an 87-89 switch and a 90-93 switch. I believe the difference is due to the change in column, but I haven’t looked for wiring differences

what year is this car?

The headlight switches are interchangeable. There is no difference in how they are wired. You can put a switch with the fog lamps into an LX, plug in the fog lamp wire, and have power at the fog rail pigtails. Everything else will work as it should.

turn signal switches are different though. There’s an 87-89 switch and a 90-93 switch. I believe the difference is due to the change in column, but I haven’t looked for wiring differences

what year is this car?
its an 89. Have to look at the turn signal switch better. It looked original but I might be wrong

i had this happen before. 1. get a pin out of the headlight connector harness on the bezel you bought. make sure all pins are where they should be and inserted all the way, they have a tendency to pop out sometimes. if that doesnt fix it.... look at the wiring on the column, either one of the pins on the connector for the turn signal lever isnt inserted and pushed in all the way, or it fell out the connector or...it fell out and was pinned back in wrong.( if this has been going on a while since youve owned it)

Reactions: 1 users
I've rub into the same issue. Every time it was the wiring at the multifunction switch or the ignition switch. Those wires pop out all the time. Also, look for burned connectors. They aren't hard to de-pin to replace the connectors.

Here’s the wiring pinout for the headlight/fog light switch and the dimmer

9C5FE949-7B2F-44F0-A048-215F46379C59.jpeg