Broke the carrier pin bolt!!!

beaver2489

Founding Member
Feb 26, 2002
st. joseph missouri
Ok, a buddy and I were installing gears and we broke the carrier pin off inside the carrier. I need to know of any tricks you guys have for getting it out. My buddy got one out before by beating the **** out of the carrier with a punch&hammer.One guy on here said he drilled a 5/64" hole in the carrier at the end of the pin and blew it loose with compressed air. Any other ideas will be GREATLY appreciated. I know a lot of you will say I'm just screwed, but that little bitch is coming out :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

beaver2489 said:
Ok, a buddy and I were installing gears and we broke the carrier pin off inside the carrier. I need to know of any tricks you guys have for getting it out. My buddy got one out before by beating the **** out of the carrier with a punch&hammer.One guy on here said he drilled a 5/64" hole in the carrier at the end of the pin and blew it loose with compressed air. Any other ideas will be GREATLY appreciated. I know a lot of you will say I'm just screwed, but that little bitch is coming out :bang:
Both discriptions you posted will work provided there isn't any theaded area left inside. If there is, try this. Get some carb or brake cleaner and spray all around the area of the broken pin so it's free of all grease. Take a hammer and smack the carrier right over the area of the pin.This will help loosen it. That is the first thing I do before I try to take the pin out and 99% of the time it comes out unbroken. (just a tip for the future) Don't use too much force or you'll risk damaging the carrier. If it looks like there might be some threaded area of the pin left take a small pointed end pick and try to rotate the pin out. If it starts to move and come out, if you have a magnet small enough to fit you can pull it the rest of the way out. I have done alot of these like this with great success. Good luck!! :nice:

the pick/magnet method really only works if the bolt is loose in the first place. Assuming that you over tightened the bolt, or it siezed, something like that, then you will have to drill it out. it is difficult to drill a good straight hole with the carrier still in the rear. I recommed using a dremel if you have one to make your hole. After that you can use a regular screw extracter or screw up a tap's treads and try to tap it out. You can get a single tap really cheap and this will make sure that you don't screw up the carrier treads.

I believe i was the person that posted the 5/64" drill and compressed air method. If you havent got it out yet id give it a shot it worked very well. Go get a new carrier pin bolt so you can get the exact length, then drill the hole into the carrier just past the end of where the bolt would be. Next while using compressed air in the hole which is puting pressure on the pin use a pick of some sort and turn the bolt counter clockwise. If there is threads still on it you will slowly be threading it out. But dont look down the hole like i was because the pin shot out and hit me in the head at 90psi.

Good luck and tell me how it all turns out!