Broken bolt in thermostat housing

Michela@pacbell

May 31, 2007
:bang: Can anyone offer me any advise on how best to approach accessing the dawn thing so I can attempt a repair? :shrug:
Currently it looks like I have to remove all kinds of stuff thats in the way like the belt, the fan, the fan shroud etc.. etc..::bang:

• Sponsors (?)

:bang: Can anyone offer me any advise on how best to approach accessing the dawn thing so I can attempt a repair? :shrug:
Currently it looks like I have to remove all kinds of stuff thats in the way like the belt, the fan, the fan shroud etc.. etc..::bang:

depends on which one it is. If its the one closest to the water pump its gonna be a pain. Go to any auto parts store and get a broken screw/ bolt remover (eazy out). Get the right size of course. You dont want to get one tooo big. Read the instructions and your good to go. They wor! I extracted a broken head bolt before. Keep in mind though. If you break the eazy out in the broken bolt. YOU ARE *****ED). If i was you, i would remove the lower intake manifold and try to extract it. That way if you do break the eay out, you can just bring the manifold to a machine shop.

I have a set of these Craftsman extractors. They have saved me multiple times. Either a rounded bolt head or a snapped bolt. As long as there is enough sticking out to grab on to, they work better than I thought they would. I tap them on with a hammer to get a starting bite. Then as you crank on them they bite in harder.

bolt extractor.jpg