Broken Engine Cross Member Bolt

• Sponsors(?)

2Blue2

I partied with that dude!, um girl, um whatever...
Mar 5, 2019
Oahu
Drill it and easy out (which is never easy)
lots of heat, penetrating oil, and luck

Worse comes to worse drill bigger and weld coupling nut in almost flush and grind down flush.
hex-coupling-threaded-rod-nut-stainless-steel.jpg

horse sence

That $5 hooker turn out to be a guy
Mod Dude
Nov 29, 1999
Wile Coyote's stunt double
If you are good at welding ,weld through the hole in a nut like a plug weld to the broken bolt ,you would have to be careful to not weld the bolt in ,let it cool and soak with penetrating oil then turn it back and forth until it turns easily enough to turn it out

Reactions: 2Blue2

RagHead

Sep 7, 2008
West Monroe, Louisiana
Looking for help or advice on the best way to remove a broken engine cross member bolt on my 66 mustang.
rsz_3rsz_img_0052.jpg
Tried soaking this bolt with penetrating oil and using a left hand drill bit to try and remove it still would not come out and the bolt was broken to far into the frame rail to weld anything to it without welding it to the frame. After everything else failed I decided to cut a section of the outer frame rail out to try and remove it that way.
rsz_rsz_img_0080.jpgrsz_rsz_1img_0082.jpgrsz_rsz_1img_0085.jpg
After marking the section of the frame rail to be cut out and drilling pilot holes I made the final cut with a body saw and a 3 inch cut of wheel. This is how I ended the day, will work on getting the bolt out tomorrow.

RagHead

Sep 7, 2008
West Monroe, Louisiana
Worked on the broken bolt today and after some heat and help from a air hammer/chisel finally got the nut and bolt out without damage to the frame rail so it's off the tractor supply for some replacement bolts.
rsz_11rsz_img_0100.jpgrsz_1rsz_img_0101.jpgrsz_1rsz_img_0102.jpgrsz_1rsz_img_0105.jpg

• Potroast
Reactions: 2Blue2