Engine Budget 331ci stroker?

91GTstroked

15 Year Member
Jun 14, 2007
I'm sure this has been covered over and over. But I've been out of the pushrod motor scene for years. I've had a 347 and a 408 back in the early-mid 2000's.

I recently bought a 90 mustang coupe that is suppose to have a mild 306. Hard to prove it without tearing it apart. Not even sure on compression.

Current mods on my car:

GT40x heads
GT40 intake port matched
E303 cam
1.72 ford racing rockers
70mm tb
73 mass air
24lb injectors.
Full length headers

I would venture to guess that most of this would bolt right onto a 331 but hp gain would probably be marginal.

I think 425-450 hp would be great on 91 fuel non oxygenated. One day I'd like to coyote swap.

I'm really curious on what others have done on a budget. Car seems to run fine at the moment.

Thanks for any insight.

• Sponsors (?)

Typically 302 parts make just a little bit more than 302 power on a stroker.
Maybe if you are lucky 340rwhp, but likely less.
If it doesn't burn any oil and runs right, find a cheap used s trim or even buy one new.
It can for sure put that combination of parts past block splitting power.
I've seen it make 513rwhp in person (old guy, never was going to drive it hard).

Reactions: 1 user
Typically 302 parts make just a little bit more than 302 power on a stroker.
Maybe if you are lucky 340rwhp, but likely less.
If it doesn't burn any oil and runs right, find a cheap used s trim or even buy one new.
It can for sure put that combination of parts past block splitting power.
I've seen it make 513rwhp in person (old guy, never was going to drive it hard).

I do like forced induction. So a 306 possibly with a supercharger?

In most cases a 302 and a 306 are nearly identical.
The supercharger won't know the difference.
The compression could be changed a bit, so just don't shoot for the stars from the get go.

Reactions: 1 user
In most cases a 302 and a 306 are nearly identical.
The supercharger won't know the difference.
The compression could be changed a bit, so just don't shoot for the stars from the get go.
Right on. I'd only run 5-6 psi through one of the self contained units. Car already has 255lph fuel pump. Not sure if 24 injectors would be enough?