Progress Thread Budget 89 GT

Anti_Hero0932

Jan 29, 2012
LaGrange, MO
I figured i may as well start a thread to track my progress. went and got this car last monday. took it to the state inspection place yesterday at 2. got home at 530 and had the enigine out by 845. ready to start cleaning and disassembling. glad to have some of the people here giving me some much needed and helpful info. wanting to do a few things to this block and run a ON3 kit on it.
fox 1.jpg
foxx.jpg
fox 4.jpg
fox 5.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
  • Sponsors (?)

sorry i guys i lied. last week i took the seats out and sprayed them with de greaser and power washed them and me and my wife put a headliner in the thing cause it was hanging in your face when you sat in the seat.

Reactions: 1 users
That's a good project. With going turbo I'd t take the blue underdrive pulleys off and source factory ones . There's more heat associated with a turbo engine and turning the water pump slower wouldn't be a great idea.

Looks like comp cam roller rockers ?

Nice start, man !!!

Reactions: 1 user
yeah i already did that. my buddy had a stock set laying around. i hate under drives. im gonna clean the enigine bay up. thinking of head studding it and maybe a main girdle. im glad i took it apart. it only had three bell housing botls in the thing.

I girdles mine... the only thing it might do is save the housing assembly if the block cracks. The block usually starts cracking above the cam in the valley.

Even a valley girdle may fail at over 500hp. If I did it again I'd get a dart block...or 351. Good 351 blocks are hard to find. They get cracks in the cam bores. Never seen one split all the way though. The 351 will hold 700hp which is more than we can put down on the street.

ill prolly do a girdle then. i know NEMOMUSTANGS ran a ON3 kit on his car and broke the crank twice on his stock block cars. he was running 10's i thnk maybe 10.20's then switched to a 351 and is in the 9's now.

Guys have been doing well with On3. If you can hook there's no problem getting high 10s low 11's. I Joe to remain conservative with my bosy levels. On my set up my calculations show over 500hp at 7 psi. That's more than enough for me on the street.

MSpnp2 is ms2 based product but cannot be upgraded to the ms3 by just replacing the daughtercard.
Microsquirt uses a different processor and is a bit limited but works well for basic functionality.

I have tuned both many times, Mine is a DIYPNP and uses the microsquirt as its processor with a tinyiox mounted along with it inside the case as an expansion card.

when i heard the price i was like WTF!? i can afford that pretty esaily. i just didnt know if their junk or what.
they are not junk, look at ampefi.com for the microsquirt setup for the fox.

if you decide to buy a ms3 (500-600) you could get a rotunda cable adapter and use it as a pigtail into the factory harness. this would let you wire the MS3 on the table then just plug it into the car. then stash it under the passenger seat.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335821607&icep_item=362397370621

1. MSpnp2 is ms2 based product but cannot be upgraded to the ms3 by just replacing the daughtercard.
2. Microsquirt uses a different processor and is a bit limited but works well for basic functionality.

I have tuned both many times,

3. Mine is a DIYPNP and uses the microsquirt as its processor with a tinyiox mounted along with it inside the case as an expansion card.
Sorry, you got some of it wrong.
1. Correct. Some other MS2's can be upgraded.
2. Incorrect. Same processor for all MS2's
3. You are confusing Microsquirt with Microsquirt Module. Microsquirt is a standalone sealed box with limited input/Output. The Microsquirt Module is the white circuit board inside the MSPNPG2, DIYPNP, Stinger PiMP. They also use the standard Ford EEC-IV 60-pin connector.
Other MS2's have various configurations. They all share the same CPU, a 16-bit Motorola microcontroller, MC9S12C.

Sorry, you got some of it wrong.
1. Correct. Some other MS2's can be upgraded.
2. Incorrect. Same processor for all MS2's
3. You are confusing Microsquirt with Microsquirt Module. Microsquirt is a standalone sealed box with limited input/Output. The Microsquirt Module is the white circuit board inside the MSPNPG2, DIYPNP, Stinger PiMP. They also use the standard Ford EEC-IV 60-pin connector.
Other MS2's have various configurations. They all share the same CPU, a 16-bit Motorola microcontroller, MC9S12C.
ok so i didnt type up the entire product line up, he asked a simple question i gave him a simple answer.

If it were me, I'd stop right there. The engine has already been rebuilt. It has TRW ( now Speed Pro) forged pistons in it already.
It's been bored .030 as indicated by the piston.
I'd pull the pan and look at a bearing or two, and I'd leave that thing complete unless you plan to upgrade the rods/rod bolts.
( You may find out that that may have been done already,....if the PO used ARP bolts, the nuts will say that on them, and they're usually black and shiny.)
Heads, a new pump, and a cam and intake are all I'd buy for that thing.

ill take the pan off tonight i wasnt planning on taking the whole rotating assembly out. i was going to put a gridle in it and head studs tho. i think the forged pistons were like L2482F .030 but i could be mistaken. id love to have forged pistons.