Budget Blower Motor Build Help

Leprechaun

Founding Member
Mar 26, 2001
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
I have an 89 LX 5.0 hatchback that is mostly a street cruiser, but I make trips to the drag strip from time to time. It is not a daily driver. I had planned on building a mild turbo motor for my car a few years down the road, but I recently stumbled upon a great deal on a Procharger P-1SC. I now have the entire kit, minus the intercooler, in my computer room. I am not the kind of person who just rushes into things, but staring at this blower every day is painful. I've got to get this on my car this winter.

My drive line is ready to rock except for the axles...

Trans: TTC 3550 HD
Clutch/PP: Centerforce DF and FRPP King Cobra
Driveshaft: FRPP Alum
Diff: Stock, freshly rebuilt
Axles: Stock

The engine is a stock short block with 114,000 miles and it doesn't smoke. Compression test look good. I really don't feel comfortable putting the Procharger on this engine as is. I would really like to freshen it up, spending as little as possible, so that I may run 10-12 psi safely while I build a sportsman block 500 hp + engine for later.

Any recommendations please? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Well a budget freshening would be just to replace the bearings and rings with stock replacement stuff.

If it were me and I was set on freshening the motor I would build with a little bit better parts.

Clevite 634P rod bearings and 590P mains. These are listed at Summit as being Performance bearings but that is not correct. They are a trimetal but are built to standard passenger car specs.

Moly rings

New oil pump

Good gaskets

I would replace the lifters and valve springs but if you keep the RPMs to 5500 you may be able to get away with what you have.

But if the motor has good compression and oil pressure I'd just slap it on and go for it. Since you're building another motor down the road and it doesn't matter if you blow this one up.