Budget Drag Car Brakes: Upgrade? Changes?

90mustangGT

I felt sorry for girls because
Founding Member
Jan 15, 2002
Dallas, GA
Since I am setting it up for drag racing and will run skinnies up front and fatties in back, should I upgrade the brake system??? Should I make any changes in the setup???

I don't belive a SN-95 upgrade would be worth it since I need to put the money in so many other things. The stock fronts should be able to handle as much as the skinnies will handle, so a front upgrade I don't see nessasary. However the rear is a concern. What should I do for the rear? A rear disc upgrade would be nice, but too expensive. I don't want to add any weight to the back either, so I would like to keep stock size drums. Does anyone make any good rear drum components? Should I look into a adjustable proportioning valve?

I plan on replacing or rebuilding the master cylinder, hoses, calipers, pads, rotors, drums, wheel cylinders, shoes, and hardware.

• Sponsors (?)

TTT

I am thinking maby I'll just get a rebuild kit for the calipers and MC, then get some SS braided lines, new drums, wheel cylinders, and hardware, standard rotors and pads+shoes. If I can afford it, I'll go with 5 lug stuff.

Forget the rear and upgrade the front.Even with skinnies up front more brake is better.Rear brakes don't do much in a strait line but if you ever plan on road racing or autocross then thats when I would upgrade.I have also heard the many people don't like the feel of many of the aftermarket brake and keep the stock ones.So I say you should keep your stock brakes or upgrade the front if you want.I you feel your still not stoping fast enough then you can do a four wheel disc conversion.

90 % of the braking is done with the front wheels. Skinnies will severly limit your stopping power, as they will lock up & loose traction long before they put any strain on the front brakes.