Build or Blower?

Build Engine or Buy Blower First?

• Build Engine First

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Buy Blower First

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Quit messing with stuff that isn't broke.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mattstang04

15 Year Member
Sep 15, 2006
St. Louis, MO
The Mach is reaching a point where it's reaching level 2 mods. I have some money to play but not enough to everything I want all at once. I've Procharged a GT in the past and that was great fun until the inevitable occurred. I damaged a piston because... you know...stock pistons and rods are made out of glass and duct taped chicken bones.

I'm wondering now if I should start buying pieces to put together a strong engine or if I should buy the blower first and hope a built engine comes together before the stock mill blows up.

I would like to build on one of those FRPP 5.3 stroker short blocks. Get another set of heads, a timing cover, maybe an aftermarket oil pan, put it all in a pile until a builder puts it all together for me, then swap. Build it strong then supercharge it with a D1 and maybe 12 psi. Not some 20 psi monster but a build that will put me at or around 500 to the wheel without me having to worry about click, click, pop, boom.

If I were to get the blower first, I would get a D1 but try to keep the boost down around 8 or 9 psi. Super fun right away but the concern of catastrophic failure will be looming.

Curious what you all would do given the opportunity.

Also important to keep in mind, I'm in no hurry and my car (Automotive Gods willing) will remain intact and in my possession until my demise. It spends most of its time inside its cozy, safe garage space, anyway.

• Sponsors (?)

If done right I have seen many forced induction stock engines last a long time. Its usually abuse or improper tune etc that is their downfall. That being said, destroying a 2V is not such a big deal as the Mach's DOHC one.

Reactions: 1 user
When I debated it - For the same money you are comparing 1) stay at the same power level for a ton of money or 2) increase ~100hp for about the same cost.

I went with the blower first - I’d rather go faster. I kept the stock pulley on there. Keep your RPMs in the stock range, lower the boost if needed with a different pulley, add an intercooler, tune it safely to make your power. You can get greedy later when you have the forged internals.

Twin turbo. On a 03 4v cobra.. 6 speed.. If you want power. This twin will push 1300hp

Attachments

• IMG1216247898.jpg
    IMG1216247898.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 20170617_100116.jpg
    20170617_100116.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 103
That's a pretty nice club car. Think I'll stay with mine but I am impressed.

Mogs01GT, so you built your engine first. Did you do it yourself or have a shop handle the liability?

I was pretty safe initially with my ProCharger P1SC GT. Got greedy though. Bumped the psi from around 9/10 to right around 12. The tune was solid and the supporting mods were pretty good. I think the car lasted about another year after the upgrade. Still don't know why the piston broke but once it happened, it was what it was. Never had detonation issues. It was perfectly fine until the instant it broke. The whole ordeal has left a lasting impression though.

That car was a blast. Never had trouble getting onto the interstate. Perhaps I am being to cautious. :chin

That's a pretty nice club car. Think I'll stay with mine but I am impressed.
Mogs01GT, so you built your engine first. Did you do it yourself or have a shop handle the liability?
I was pretty safe initially with my ProCharger P1SC GT. Got greedy though. Bumped the psi from around 9/10 to right around 12. The tune was solid and the supporting mods were pretty good. I think the car lasted about another year after the upgrade. Still don't know why the piston broke but once it happened, it was what it was. Never had detonation issues. It was perfectly fine until the instant it broke. The whole ordeal has left a lasting impression though.

That car was a blast. Never had trouble getting onto the interstate. Perhaps I am being to cautious. :chin
Pro shop did the machine work on the heads and short block. I assembled the long block.