Building a 331 or 347

stihl-066

Jan 4, 2006
Ok guys I am in the process of pulling my motor so I can build a stroker. I probably will go with a 347. I plan on using an XE284-H cam, Edelbrock RPM heads(1.90 1.60), Edelbrock performer intake(what I have to use), long tube hedman headers, 10:5:1 comp, 3:73 rears with my new T-5z tranny. Mainly going to be for track use in the summer. I have a stock block now with those heads, xe262-h and everything else stated on it now. Will stroking it make a big difference with the new cam. I am running 8.4's in the 1/8th mile with a 1.8-1.9 60ft time now. I would like to be down in the sevens with it. I plan on using Nos some time in the future as well.

• Sponsors (?)

stihl-066 said:
Thanks N8Miller for your response.

sorry about all those guys killing your thread a bit. there is a lot behind that reply that you prolly dont know about.

anyway, my reply was a good one to stick by.
what are your plans for the stroker motor? combo? desired results?

here's the deal there are a million and one 347 kits out there and a few guys said that the pistion to rod ratio of the 347 in inferior to that of a 331 and thus making the 331 a better option, but i have heard from a source(my engine builder) that i trust that that is all hogwash, i am sure sbftech has a opinion on this as he knows a hell of alot more than me or anyone here for that mattar. The 347 is supposed to burn a little oil and create higer loads on the cylider walls, which is scary when you are at the limits of the stock block any ways, with a 10:1 347 you would be in the 400 horse range and the stoker will only take about 450, and only if you are nice to it, so it really deoends on what you want and who you trust knows what the hell they are talking about

...but in the end THERE IS NO REPLACMENT FOR DISPLACMENT!!!!

I run a 10:1 347 with a 100 shot..... your goals are easily attainable, trust me. Well i better change that. I just sold my Zex kit. I never used it. Didn't need to. Anyway just build the motor you want with your future goals in mind. If you are gonna spray go 347 and keep the compression up. If you are gonna boost keep the cr down and maybe think 331.

bryce93lx said:
here's the deal there are a million and one 347 kits out there and a few guys said that the pistion to rod ratio of the 347 in inferior to that of a 331 and thus making the 331 a better option, but i have heard from a source(my engine builder) that i trust that that is all hogwash, i am sure sbftech has a opinion on this as he knows a hell of alot more than me or anyone here for that mattar. The 347 is supposed to burn a little oil and create higer loads on the cylider walls, which is scary when you are at the limits of the stock block any ways, with a 10:1 347 you would be in the 400 horse range and the stoker will only take about 450, and only if you are nice to it, so it really deoends on what you want and who you trust knows what the hell they are talking about

...but in the end THERE IS NO REPLACMENT FOR DISPLACMENT!!!!

ok, im gonna dispute a bunch of your statments!

the cylinder walls are the same on both motors! the piston-rod ratio in the 347 DOES NOT make it inferior vs the 331. 347 will not burn oil if assembled correctly with a reputable builder and quality stroker kit. there are people putting down alot more than 450 hp on a stock block!

no replacement for displacement? how about a well thought out combo with the proper tune? i bet it puts down more HP with less cubes than all the masses of people how throw parts on motors becasue they "hear it works good."

No plans on running a turbo or supercharger. I want to get it to 400hp by next summer and see if I can get it into the 7's. If not then I will go with NOS. I just want to beat my father in-laws 550 hp supercharged 427 fairlane. He is 1000lbs heavier if not more than I am. Will the Edelbrocks with 1.90 1.60's be enough head or should I get them cut to 2.02's.

you should have a set of 2.02 valve heads or bigger. i would look into a set of TFS (ported), vic jr heads or afr 185s. a custom camshaft and a holley, RPM2 or TFS R intake will get you about where you want on motor.

is your father in laws car rwhp or motor? if its motor, your gonna need a 50-75 shot to win, especially in part to the 1000lbs hes got on you.

The heads I got now are brand new so I am not slapping down another grand on a new set of heads. I like Edelbrock. They make a good product. The cam I plan on using has a lift of 541int 544exh 240int 246exh. I have an old single plane torqurer II manifold I might use or get a new RPM one. What would be a good and easy NOS kit to buy and hook up. One that runs on wide open throttle.