building a sleeper

1faspony

Apr 2, 2004
San Diego, CA
Hi all,

If you had the money to buy a 05 GT and had $3000-4000 to make modifications to build a sleeper for the streets what would you do besides the cosmetic stuff ie. add side stripes and remove the fog lights? I am interested in the engine modifications you would do first.

• Sponsors (?)

1faspony said:
Hi all,

If you had the money to buy a 05 GT and had $3000-4000 to make modifications to build a sleeper for the streets what would you do besides the cosmetic stuff ie. add side stripes and remove the fog lights? I am interested in the engine modifications you would do first.

I'd probably do the intake and exhaust (headers, highflow cats, cat back) first and then do forced induction.

Good topic, really makes you think :banana:

You said sleeper, so any type of stripes would have to be out. To me a sleeper is a car that attracts minimal attention, and stripes will attract attention as would the full exhaust. Right now I have the C&L CAI, FRPP shorty headers and Bassani high flow cats, x-pipe and axlebacks. There is nothing sleeper about this setup :D I think the racoons run and hide in their shelter when I am blasting around the back roads :eek:

If I were building the perfect sleeper with an 05 GT with the money limit you imposed, I would probably do a CAI and a tune. I would then save money for the Saleen blower and get it dyno tuned. I don't know how loud the stock axlebacks would be with an x-pipe w/high flow cats, so I don't know if it would keep the decibel levels down keeping it in "sleeper" status. I know there are definite improvements from the x-pipe and possibly the Magnaflow Tru-X will keep the sound down and help with performance. You could get the various suspension mods to stiffen up the car and make the handling a little crisper.

Spend about $7000 and go full tilt with super charger. Forget the exhaust. Keep it quiet.

Spend the $$ on super charger, crosspipe, custom dyno tune, gears, set of wider bullit wheels and sticky tires for the rear and maybe some suspension tweaks to hook up better (not lowering the car).

The car would be quiet and a killer.

(Or put it on the bottle......)

Of course.... '05 Mustang looks and 'sleeper' don't really go together ver well. :)

Well I just had to post that cause I have a F-250 crew cab diesel and I do get some strange looks from stangers at the light. I put in a pretty hefty program and can run pretty decent with the old bodystyle stock gt's. The looks are priceless. But it is amazingly fast for a 7000 pound truck. I can get rubber in second and it is an automatic. :lol: