built vs bought....

I'm more into peanut butter, but you are somewhat right. Who wouldn't buy an Aston Martin if they had the means? I thought we were talking about the guys who were outwardly dicks about their higher social status and their beautiful blondes with nice sweater puppies?

• Sponsors (?)

I like what SSeater said above. If I had to qualify a car guy, it wouldn't be solely what he bought or built. I think a car guy is someone who has been around them long enough to know what causes (purely examples) detonation, wheel hop, squeaky belts, and knows how to fix them. And those guys usually DO build their own cars since they have the knowledge.

The original arguement here, I believe, was at the guys who solely shell out the cash AND run their mouths as if their knowledge and ability got the car put together and running.

I think it's funny how people go on the defensive when crap like this happens. It seems like it's almost in people's nature to look for something to get bent out of shape about. I started to about this comment here until I read A, B, and C closely, and determined I'm not in any of those groups. I stand behind what my reply to Chris/Fastdriver was in regaurd to being a true car guy. Now before getting mad about qualifying as a car guy, let me clarify:

I'm not going on any defensive... just saying the attitude that I seem to be hearing "one cannot be a car guy if they pay someone else to do the work" seems silly. What about the car guys that DID their own work for 10 years and didn't have the time, energy, or patience any more and are in a position to pay someone else to do the work. Are they suddenly no longer car guys?

People who love cars are going to try to attain them anyway possibly. Whatever way they attain them or the mods/improvements to them, you can't argue with respect or feeling of accomplishement gained by actually doing it themselves. I'm honestly not belittling the guy who doesn't do his own work. MY point here is, that's what really gains MY respect for someone and in my mind makes them more of a "car guy" LOL..

Couldn't agree with you more on this. I love talking to people at car shows, and when I leave the shows I always remember talking to the people who did their own modifications and I have a certain level of respect for the time, dedication, and effort many of them had to put into making their automobile special or stand out from the rest. However, I've also met wonderful people who paid a shop to build their car. Bob Rydell owns the Grandmaster built by Chip Foose. I chatted with him for a long time at a car show because he's a North Dakotan and I went to college up there so we talked Fighting Sioux hockey. Anyways, he knew everything about the car and seemed very knowledgeable on the subject of cars, modifications, etc... I certainly don't think that simply because he paid Chip Foose to build the car he's somehow less of a car guy, do you?

I like anyone I can sit and talk cars with. Ford, Chevy Dodge, Import, doesn't matter. Apparently, there are just varying degrees of "car guydom"... in my mind, anyway.

Perhaps its a semantics thing then. As far as respect goes, I have a lot of respect and appreciation for the people who are talented enough to do their own work (madmike for example). I also respect people with good taste that know what they want and/or have the funds to pay someone else to design something, but it is a different kind of respect. However, I think limiting the term "car guy" only to people who do their own work is somewhat arrogant when "talented" or "mechanically inclined" seem to have more to do with what you respect.

The original arguement here, I believe, was at the guys who solely shell out the cash AND run their mouths as if their knowledge and ability got the car put together and running.

The run their mouths part when the bucket-o-knowledge is empty is what loses my respect a lot of times...

Reactions: 1 user
Perhaps its a semantics thing then. As far as respect goes, I have a lot of respect and appreciation for the people who are talented enough to do their own work (madmike for example). I also respect people with good taste that know what they want and/or have the funds to pay someone else to design something, but it is a different kind of respect. However, I think limiting the term "car guy" only to people who do their own work is somewhat arrogant when "talented" or "mechanically inclined" seem to have more to do with what you respect.

I think semantcs is it to a point... arrogant, meh, I don't know about that word.

I believe different people have different viewpoints on what constitues being a car guy, when I think basically a car guy is someone that likes cars, for starters. Like I said before kinda tongue in cheek there are varying levels of car guys. Perhaps a seasoned racer wouldn't consider the average Joe to be a car guy, I don't know. I think it's perspective in part, and semantics in other parts.. Maybe a little pride mixed in there..

Like I said, It seems to be human nature to take offense over the way things come off sounding when that's possibly not how it was intended.

Like I said, It seems to be human nature to take offense over the way things come off sounding when that's possibly not how it was intended.

Lolz ... FWIW I haven't been offended in this thread and don't think I was being defensive :shrug:

Besides, it seems that we both share the same opinion and are just using different terminology :nice:

I mean don't you think the DIY folks can be just as rude and dumb as anyone else in this hobby? I have no time for anyone who acts like an ass regardless of whether or not they posess mechanical skills ya know?

I mean don't you think the DIY folks can be just as rude and dumb as anyone else in this hobby? I have no time for anyone who acts like an ass regardless of whether or not they posess mechanical skills ya know?

Yeah, kinda. There's gonna be dicks in every social group of people I guess.

Maybe y'all would find it funny, but I've never really been a sports fan. Baseball a little, but that's about it. I have, however, felt the insane loyalty and love for cars that I can see sports fans having with or for their teams...

Nothing to me makes a person look like a bigger dick than hating on say, a Dallas Cowboy fan just because that's who they are... but I've been guilty of doing the exact same thing to a Corvette driver. I don't REALLY dislike the guy, it's more of a competitive thing. I love all cars, but I'll talk crap to a chevy driver in a second, even though I've owned one.. Does that make me a dick? I think that's kinda where car guys are coming from when they label other guys "not real car guys" because they aren't the same... The feelings are more of a competitive nature thing than hate, really...Is this making any sense?

I do my own work out of necessity. I look at what I would have to spend in labor costs and would rather spend the money on parts. I would be willing to pay someone to do the work if I made a little more money. Being the impatient person I am, I want the car done ASAP. Another reason I wouldn't mind paying someone else to do it was mentioned earlier. After 23 years of crawling around various aircraft I have two bad knees, tendinitis in both elbows, and I can predict the weather with my right shoulder more accurately than the weather channel. I enjoy being in my garage turning wrenches, but there are those times I'd be perfectly happy letting someone else handle it. I'm not one who cares how someone came about there hot rod. If there a dick, but did all the work to there car themselves, in the end, there still a dick.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

It has been my experience that the guy that bought his "trophy" cant really carry on a significant conversation about it when it gets beyond the superficial. The guy at the autoshow across from me being my main point. He had money. He displayed a 100k+ TT 69 Camaro, an equally bucks up TT Porsche Carrera, a custom chopper, and a Harley Ultraglide. All in the same display, all black,....all gorgeous. The Camaro wasn't intercooled. When I asked him why,...the answer was I don't know anything about the engine man,...I just know it runs hard.
He was a nice guy,....and he clearly took pride in what he owned.Everyone of the vehicles on display were the best that they could be. But this guy even paid someone to wax the cars and keep them shiny before, and during the show. Does that make him a car guy. He was nice,....he has a passion for the hobby,....:shrug: .

I'm not jealous of the money. Had he been like the Chip Foose guy cited above, he'd have my respect. But waving your trophies around and the only involvement you have in their final appearance was that you wrote the check, doesn't make you a car guy. It makes you a guy w/ a car.

Leno is a prime example of the opposite. He is involved w/ his collection, Drives (and knows about what he's driving) Has the balls to go out onto Talladega w/ a Porsche 930, ( or whatever the hell it was) attempt a 200MPH lap speed, lose control while attempting to reach that speed, and then go back out and try it again.
Now THATS a car guy.

You can't buy "your" car. You gotta make it that way.

Call me a snob or a dick, I have no problem w/ it.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, kinda. There's gonna be dicks in every social group of people I guess.

Exactly my point :nice:

Maybe y'all would find it funny, but I've never really been a sports fan. Baseball a little, but that's about it. I have, however, felt the insane loyalty and love for cars that I can see sports fans having with or for their teams...

Agreed, I've never been much of a sports fan either. Both of my younger brothers could watch sports center all day and night and not get enough of it, while I can watch pretty much any car show and not get enough of it. I don't get sports, my brothers don't get my obsession with cars :shrug:

Nothing to me makes a person look like a bigger dick than hating on say, a Dallas Cowboy fan just because that's who they are... but I've been guilty of doing the exact same thing to a Corvette driver. I don't REALLY dislike the guy, it's more of a competitive thing. I love all cars, but I'll talk crap to a chevy driver in a second, even though I've owned one.. Does that make me a dick? I think that's kinda where car guys are coming from when they label other guys "not real car guys" because they aren't the same... The feelings are more of a competitive nature thing than hate, really...Is this making any sense?

Yep makes sense. I have friends that are into cars and drive everything from bimmers and audis, to SRT-4s and Cobalt SS, to Mustangs, vettes, camaros/firebirds.

I like to rag on each one based on the stereotype that goes with each vehicle they own, but it's all in good fun. Bimmer/Audi drivers tend to be gel haired pricks, SRT-4 and Cobalt SS owners tend to think their cars are actually special when really they're nothing more than a fast Neon/Cavalier, Vette owners are old guys w/ a mustache full of regret trying to relive the younger days, camaro/firebird owners are redneck hillbillies with mullets, and Mustang owners are just plain pricks :D

Mustang owners are just plain pricks :D

**in the key of nanny-nanny-boo-boo

I'm a prick,...I'm a prick
nanadance.gif

Obviously, we all appreciate guys with knowledge and strong opinions even if they differ from our own so long as the guys are cordial and give respect for you and your opinions. Afterall, that's why we all participate in these discussion forums with each other.

I respect and appreciate the 16 year old kid that doesn't have a clue or a dollar but has the same innate love for speed/mechanics that I do and is just out at "the hole" to have a good time. I can respect and appreciate the friendly rich guy with the lambo/ferrari as long as he's down to earth, whether he's knowledgable or not.

I definitely have more appreciation/respect for those that do all of their own work IF IT'S GOOD. Some of the stuff I've seen where people fabricate uncommon improvements or solutions to problems that took their own creativity and skills to do/solve really blows my mind. Those are the types of guys I love talking to and learning from because they usually think outside of the box and actually enjoy the work. Those guys, be they rich, poor, educated, or high school drop-outs, are the epitomy of car guys to me, but that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the other car guys.

Most of the other people, myself included, know just enough to do the basic swaps/installations and like to hang out, talk a little smack among friends, see a few cars run, race your own when you can, blab about the latest and greatest coming from the factories, and argue over a bench race every now and then, which can be entertaining, especially before getting the two cars you're talking about to actually line up. These are the guys I get along with the best. To the point: ANY of the guys above, from the most experienced and capable to the least, can fit into this group. To me, these are the "car guys."

I have found the non spectator sport to be a commonality between car guys though,....not w/ the majority I don't think,...but my entire group of 10 here couldn't tell you who won the football game on a Saturday afternoon. Here,......in Alabama

Must be a participant vs spectator mentality or somethin':scratch:

Mike, I don't like watching sports, and could only tell you who won the super bowl, or the Army-Navy game, but I've played sports all my life, and still do. My pop was a car guy that loved watching and keeping up with sports though, so it clearly doesn't fit everyone.

I like to rag on each one based on the stereotype that goes with each vehicle they own, but it's all in good fun. Bimmer/Audi drivers tend to be gel haired pricks, SRT-4 and Cobalt SS owners tend to think their cars are actually special when really they're nothing more than a fast Neon/Cavalier, Vette owners are old guys w/ a mustache full of regret trying to relive the younger days, camaro/firebird owners are redneck hillbillies with mullets, and Mustang owners are just plain pricks :D

This was funny until I got to the camaro owners and it was HILARIOUS. :rlaugh:You forgot the greasy 1986 NHRA nationals T-shirt, though. (<- my family)

Mike, I don't like watching sports, and could only tell you who won the super bowl, or the Army-Navy game, but I've played sports all my life, and still do. My pop was a car guy that loved watching and keeping up with sports though, so it clearly doesn't fit everyone.
I know, there is only a modest amount that can say that they don't. I just find it ironic, cause after hearing a few on here say he same thing, gets me wondering........what kind of personality traits are common when in a state where even the HS drop outs claim allegiance to Alabama football (like they were on the team back in the day) that there can be 10 guys in a group on a saturday in October, and nobody knows (or cares) what the score is.