Bullitt/Mach 1 gauges

PhoenixPM

Dec 30, 2004
Alrighty, here's the deal: I absolutely hate the gauges in my '04. They're green, they're generic, and I love giving my car a personal feeling. Enter the retro gauges found on the Bullitt and Mach 1's. Sleek, different, and exactly what I want. The one question that I have (and unfortunately think I know the answer to) is this: what about speedo calibration? I understand you have to change the board out and whatnot, but since the speedo goes higher . . the numbers are placed closer together, right? Meaning the speed registered is going to be totally whack. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong; I'd love suggestions if anyone has any ideas on how to accomplish the look without the technical snafus.

• Sponsors (?)

It either won't work at all, or it will be Plug-n-Play. It's hard to say without knowing if the Bullitt cluster plug or computer is different. The dealer might be able to help you. BTW, do you have a V6 or V8?

I don't know how speed data is encoded- it's probably digitally with pulses sent from the tranny. You might be able to recalibrate it with a performance chip, but like you said, if the speedo has a different range, you might be in trouble.

Is the cluster layout the same as the regular Stang? You could use an aftermarket Bullitt overlay and go from there.

It's a V6; as far as the layout goes, it's the same. Just a difference in the font and styling. Now, I've done some homework and there are issues with plug-and-play install -- by issues, I mean it won't work. Apparently if the odometer information stored in the gauge cluster flash doesn't match up with that of the ECU, the car becomes a ton-and-a-half paperweight, activating the theft deturrent system. Understandable. The solution that seems to have worked for several people on other threads has been to simply remove the problematic chip from the new cluster, swap it with your original chip . . . and install the sucker.

Seems like a logical solution to me. Mass production dictates that you change as little as possible whenever possible; I'd assume that the connections would be the same, just a different ECU voltage/signal between the 6 and the 8 to compensate for the speedometer difference. The Bullitt/Mach 1 gauges go to 150; as we all know, the V6 tops out at 120. Logistically . . . it's a headache to fathom this swap, and I'd almost be happy with custom designed gauge overlays; so far, all the companies I've emailed haven't been keen on the idea of making them.

The other thing I'm hesitant about with the overlays is color. I much prefer the white backlighting of the Bullitt/ Mach 1 gauges compared to the green. I recall seeing a website once that had "custom" gauges and listed red as a color for the late model 'stangs; this contradicted what I thought I knew about how the gauges are colored. If someone's ever torn a dash apart from a '99-04 to see how it works . . . please elaborate. Also, if someone knows a company that'd take on the custom work without me having to sell my kidney . . .

I don't mind shelling out some cash for the actual gauge cluster and making it work, but I don't want to get ripped on an overlay if that's what I have to go with.

I think the 99-04 gauges use regular light bulbs, not LEDs or EL strips- (the '05 "My Color" cluster uses LEDs). The green color comes from the cluster overlay and/or colored light bulb covers. That might help you if you want white backlighting.

You might look into finding a print shop that can do small jobs on vinyl. You could map out a cluster overlay with whatever font and markings you want, and have them print it on white signmaker's vinyl that you can swap out on your existing cluster. Same cluster- no issues- custom look.

Well, if you do decide to add another personal touch to your gauges, I'd suggest getting aluminum gauge rings, unless it's not your style. I love mine to death even though it was a pain to install :D
85668731.jpg

Stangfanatic98 said:
Well, if you do decide to add another personal touch to your gauges, I'd suggest getting aluminum gauge rings, unless it's not your style. I love mine to death even though it was a pain to install :D
85668731.jpg

Those look absolutly sweet. Custom job? If not, whered ya get the gauges and/or trim?

Yeah, the gauge rings look good. I've got several billet accessories that'd compliment it nicely. As for the white faces . . . bleh. Too common and not my style. After consideration, I think I will try to get someone to custom design the retro look; just wish I had another gauge cluster to tear apart to see how the lighting works.

Thought I'd add that I've always been into heavily modifying my cars. My ride before the 'stang was a '93 240sx. That car was *so* much fun. I view my Mustang as more of a "plush" creature. At any rate, I had a full digital dash, a built in PC with ECU management, GPS, video cameras . . you name it, it was wired in.

I've been a bit more tame with the Mustang so far. I've added a docking station for my iPod, a mount for my PDA, a police scanner, and LED turn signal markers in the side scoops. Yeah, I know. I was bored. It looks nifty, though, and it's something you don't see everyday. I'm trying to procure an OBD-II cable to go to the PDA, along with a bluetooth GPS receiver. The more gadgets I have, the happier I am.

White faces are nice in some cars . . and in other people's cars . . but again, I like to be different.

Well personally, I got the guages because I think they look sweet at night. Blue/green color inverter and dimmer switch under my console so i can make the gauges darker than my needles...oh so sweet. My avatar is a pic of them at night on full brightness.

How would one know what chip to swap out to get the 150mph one to work in a V6. I have a 2000 V6 and have a GT cluster sitting in my shop and would like to have a 150mph cluster in the V6. Any ideas?