Burning Oil

dcurtis

10 Year Member
Jan 19, 2006
Simple story, rebuilt 347, first oil change to 5/30 royal purple, about 15 mile drive home, got on just a lil to reach speed limit and let off throttle at that point, huge puff of blue smoke? Got home and every time I gas it no smoke til I let off but just for a second, let it sit a couple days cause I've been busy , start it and rev it and no more smoking? What happened, did I possibly over fill it, 7 quart pan, and put in 8 ? Or is it a broke oil ring? I'm stumped

• Sponsors (?)

How many miles are on it? If it's less than 500 it's totally normal. Depending on the rings you chose it can take quite a bit longer.
Carb or fi? If FI then check the pcv I have had oil burn issues running synthetic oils with them, there is a thread on here just search for pcv fix and it will come up.

Aside from your question, what are the bearing tolerances? Depending on your answer 5w30 may not be the best way to go with this
As the others have said, smoke on decell when seating the rings is perfectly normal and should clear up in short time