burnout at the track

foxmustangman

Jun 20, 2007
Idaho
Okay so I'm going down to the track tomorrow for the High School Drags. I'm just running street tires, but should i do a burnout for better traction or is it pointless unless you have slicks?

And if one will help me, how do i do a good burnout that will sticky my tires and help me? I have a AOD.

• Sponsors (?)

I have raced a few times with my 87 GT w/AOD and street tires. I do a small burnout, and I think it does help a little with getting off the line quick. I beat a 97 saleen to the 60 foot mark, so I think it helps.

About doing a burn out with an AOD, not too hard to do, as long as you have the stock rear drum brakes that is.

Put the car in first, that is very crutial since in drive the car will try and shift once the rear wheels start spinning around 25-30 mph. Just press the brakes a little and then give it gas, dont give too much gas, just a little to get the rear wheels to spin. Once they start spinning, keep your brake preasure the same and hit the gas. I have been able to get the rpms up to 5 grand on a AOD burnout.

Another way to do a burnout with an AOD at the track is drive through the water box, put it in first and pound the gas, the burnout wont be that long but good enough.

Normally at the track to do a decent burnout, if you get your rpms above 3 grand, normally that will do it. You just want to get the surface hot and you dont really want to burn off any rubber since they are street tires.

Good Luck

I wouldn't do a burnout with street tires. When you get up there, just give them a couple quick "turns" to get the rocks and gravel off of them. Oh...and don't go through the water box. Go around it, because water in treads means dangerous track for you and the next guy.

I wouldn't do a burnout with street tires. When you get up there, just give them a couple quick "turns" to get the rocks and gravel off of them. Oh...and don't go through the water box. Go around it, because water in treads means dangerous track for you and the next guy.

:stupid:

If possible, do not go through the water box since you're running street tires. At my local track, there is no way to avoid the water box. :nonono:

Spin the tires just enough to remove any rocks, dust, dirt, etc. Spin them for 1 or 2 seconds max. Anything longer is a complete waste of your tires and will get you nothing additional as far as traction is concerned.

With street tires, that's all you need. :nice: