Buying 17 inch tires need Advice

mcode

Dec 3, 2004
Hi everyone. I am thinking of purchasing American eagle racing series 211(look like american racing torq thrust 11 (but a little less money). The size is 17 inch by 8 inch wide with 4 1/2 inch backspacing on the front with a 235/45/17 cooper zeon sport. And on the rear is a 17 inch by 9 1/2 wide with 5.5 inch backspacing with a 275/40/17 tire.

1. Will i have any interference in the front ( i performed the shelby drop on my TCP Front coilover kit. I have a Tcp Pwr rack also

2. Will i have interference on the rear with stock leaf springs.

3. Is the ride to stiff.

4. Or should i buy 16 by 8 inch on 245/50/ wheels with 4 1/2 inch backspacing

If anyone has this combo --please help a fellow mustanger before i spend my hard earned money.
P.S. this is for a 1970 mustang mach 1 351 cleveland

And yes i have looked at dodgestangs chart. But i would like real life answers

• Sponsors (?)

i have 17x8 e'brock 454's with 4.5" BS and 245/45-17 tires. i could easily go the 9.5 whel in the rear with a 275/40-17, i may still go with that size tire but on the 8" wheel just to get some more meat in the rear wheelwells

I did not see any mention about ride quality. I am having the same debate now about 17 or 16 inch wheels. I fear that if I get the 16 inch I will for some reason feel like a loser or it won't look as good as the larger wheels, but with the crap suspension on old Stangs, I worry the 17 inch wheels and lower profile tires will ride too rough.

This is for a 68 Fastback
Anybody tried a set of these Hot Wheels brand wheels? Do they look good in person?

I feel like chiming in here just for a little correction....

my chart is real life answers. Every combo on my chart (except the 5-6 noted as from another a wheel chart) came from submission of wheel and tire combos from people from this site and a handful of other old mustang forums on the web.

So to say you looked at the chart but want real life answers....is a misconception.

Anyway....I would try to get 4.75 backspacing on the front, the rear is a combo already on my chart and proved to work.

Don't mind me though...I'm just being temperamental :p

Thanks for the advice

So dodgestang you are saying that i would be better off with a 4.75 on a 17 inch in the front ---Why ? And if this is true i think the torque thrust 11 Part # 505-7866 will fit that bill correctly. And would this size be appropriate in the rear with a 255/45/17 tire with stock sway bars

So dodgestang you are saying that i would be better off with a 4.75 on a 17 inch in the front ---Why ? And if this is true i think the torque thrust 11 Part # 505-7866 will fit that bill correctly. And would this size be appropriate in the rear with a 255/45/17 tire with stock sway bars

4.75 is the best backspacing for the widest tire in the front with an 8 inch wheel. If you pay attention on the chart people with 16x8 always have to get 4.5 bs because of the upper control arm interference. Once you move up to a 17 that problem goes way and you can add in the extra .25 for the widest tire. I run a 245 40 17 on the front my 65 with a 17x8 4.75 TTiis without rubbing but with a track alignment. I used to run a 235 45 17 on the same wheel with a street alignment. Neither one has rubbed. The 67 has a little more room in the wheel wells.

And yes a 255 45 17 will fit in the back on the same rim with stock suspension.
I run a 255 40 17 on the rear of mine, again its a 65 so the wheel well is a little smaller and all I did was roll the fender lip. You may or may not have to roll the rear lip depending on ride height, age of suspension, rear end movement when hitting potholes while turning...that kind of stuff.

I've never rode in a mustang with 16s

I have also never rode in a mustang setup exact like mine.

If you have a good suspension and you allow it to work you should not notice any major change between the tire profile.

I run 620 coils and 5 leafs....I used to run KYB gas adjust shocks...it was a hard ride. I have since added edlebrock IAS shocks and it is much much softer with no loss in performance.

If you have the car setup as a cruiser, 4 leafs, softer coils, good shocks, the ride should be about the same IMO regardless of 40, 50, or 60 series tires.

Conversely, if you have the car setup for performance, 5 leafs, high spring rates, stiffer shocks, the car is going to ride stiff regardless of 40. 50. 60 series tires.

This is obviously all opinion.