Buying a car without engine/tranny

notny41

Aug 15, 2004
Minnesota
Anybody know what price range a guy might have to pay to get a decent running 289 and automatic transmission.

Let's just say I'd be on a tight budget.

Just wondering if I should consider buying the car or not.

Thanks!

P.S. also looking for insight on if someone has done this or not - was it a painful experience or a rewarding one...etc.

• Sponsors (?)

depends on your mechanical ability, and the performance level you are looking for. an original stock 289/auto setup could be found for under $1000, but then you dont know exactly what you are getting in most cases. a crate motor is the best way to go, you know exacytly what comes with it, and whats needed to get it going. dont forget about linkages, electrical connections, hoses, belts.....this kind of nickle and dime stuff will kill your budget. make sure you know what you need for the engine. look at how the last guy pulled the original motor. i parted out a car, and took the engine/tranny/electrical all in one shot. everything from the battery back. when i sold the motor/tranny, the guy paid extra because i had everything he could possibly need. if the same happened to the car you are buying, you are gonna need lots of little stuff. also, a 289 is probably harder to find than a 302, so watch out for a 302 as well. a rebuilt motor/tranny will cost several thousand. if you could manage to find someone that is selling a used crate motor with good milage, thats gonna usually be the best bang for the buck. you'll have to keep your eyes peeled for the right deal....

notny41 said:
Anybody know what price range a guy might have to pay to get a decent running 289 and automatic transmission.

Let's just say I'd be on a tight budget.

Just wondering if I should consider buying the car or not.

Thanks!

P.S. also looking for insight on if someone has done this or not - was it a painful experience or a rewarding one...etc.

did you blow you motor??

nope didn't blow a motor :)

thinking about buying a fixer upper convert for when the kids go to school. I've had enough stuff apart on mine that I think it would be fun to try my hand at fixing up. Also could use mine as a reference if I got a 65 or 66.

I like the sound of that "few hundred bucks"

A guy on my street is good at ford stuff. I'm sure he's done a few engines in his time too. I know that he's pulled em out and put them back in in the past.

I see unknown mileage EFI 302s frequently in the $600 range and a carbed 289/302 should cost less. C4s are just about a dime a dozen and you can get working ones for probably $200-500. Some are in that price range and rebuilt too.

I'm in the process of doing the same thing to my '68. The 302/C4 driveline was out, but came with the car. Too bad the engine was junk and the C4 is going out in favor of a Toploader. It is turing into a huge pain finding all the little parts I need(pedals, z-bar, bellhousing, misc bolts, starter, damper, etc).

65shelbyclone, I have a place real close by that I go to for original ford parts. It is basically a old Ford graveyard and the owner knows about as much as you can about these cars. Let me know if you need some hard to find parts. I can get you a quote on parts and shipping.

I was just out there yesterday looking through zbars and clutch pivots and misc other parts. He even had onhand an ignition switch harness with 6" pigtails that my buddy was looking for.

P