Buying a tuner

lgpowell

Feb 16, 2010
Im gonna do some light modding to my 06 GT and am going to start off with a cold air intake and tuner. Im already leaning towards an AirRaid CAI because I've put one and my truck and it works perfectly.

My only question lies in the tuner. Is it worth the extra money to get one of those tuners that you mount and have a little more room to play around with(considering that I'm not going to continue to mod after this)? Or would it be a wiser decision to get one of the cheaper tuners and invest the other couple hundred dollars in another mod?

I would appreciate any references to specific tuners that yall have had good results with.

• Sponsors (?)

Im gonna do some light modding to my 06 GT and am going to start off with a cold air intake and tuner. Im already leaning towards an AirRaid CAI because I've put one and my truck and it works perfectly.

My only question lies in the tuner. Is it worth the extra money to get one of those tuners that you mount and have a little more room to play around with(considering that I'm not going to continue to mod after this)? Or would it be a wiser decision to get one of the cheaper tuners and invest the other couple hundred dollars in another mod?

I would appreciate any references to specific tuners that yall have had good results with.

the more expensive tuners don't tune more or better, they just allow you to see more information and adjust more parameters yourself. If you're taking the car to a dyno for a tune you'll have more adjustability with the better tuner. If you're just going to slap on a cai and run a canned tune, save your cash for something else. Unless you'll be adding CMDP's, a cam, an s/c, etc. If so then buy the better tuner now.

I would strongly recommend you buy a tuner/CAI combo from brenspeed or american muscle.., or somewhere that offers the tuner/cai ready to plug and play package, it will not only take the guesswork out of it, it will also be the best bang for the buck!

Well it depends how indepth you want your experience to be. Really as undisputed puts it you can get a Tuner/CAI combination with great results. Not sure about Brenspeed but when I got my combo from Bamachips (now AM) I got free tunes for life. All I have to do is submit my new mods and they will rework the tunes and send them with the e-mail giving me room to grow.

Well it depends how indepth you want your experience to be. Really as undisputed puts it you can get a Tuner/CAI combination with great results. Not sure about Brenspeed but when I got my combo from Bamachips (now AM) I got free tunes for life. All I have to do is submit my new mods and they will rework the tunes and send them with the e-mail giving me room to grow.

isn't that with all the parts you buy from them ? Or any part you buy anywhere ? I understood if you buy a tuner AND your parts they'll send you updated tunes for free.

Well I just got a new set of tunes for the heck of it just because mine were 2 years old and I wanted a new set that retained O2 sensor functionality so I would pass emissions and they never asked for a dime.
I guess they count on return customers based on their knowledge to tune for the products they sell but that may not be the case.

isn't that with all the parts you buy from them ? Or any part you buy anywhere ? I understood if you buy a tuner AND your parts they'll send you updated tunes for free.

I have called C.Rose at Bama and asked him to add the C&L Racer CAI to my 93 Race Tune and he never asked me where I bought the CAI, he just said....."sure, I'll add that to your tune and I'll have it to you in a few hours" and like 2 hours later, in my inbox (Email) was the revised tune :nice:

I even told C.Rose that I was looking to get 410s and that I found that LMR had a FRPP 410 gearset with all the shims,bearings,pinion nut etc etc....and AM does not sell a 410 kit with everything the LMR's comes with.....he said just call me back when you get them, and I'll revise your tune for you.

So as far as I know, if you buy the SCT tuner from AM....it dosent matter where you buy your parts from, you have free tunes/upgraded tunes for life FREE!

Best of luck!!