Buying A Used Supercharger??

Grabbin' Asphalt

Mustang Master
Jun 10, 2013
Atlanta, Ga
So I'm gonna' try and snag one when I can, gonna browse web and look for one that's on the quieter side, at least at idle and not too screaming on the streets.

Sooooooo,

What does one look for for when buying one used??
Whats low miles considered??
Price range limits of buying used??
Normal price to rebuild one??
If i find just the SC is it hard to piece together or just stay away from that??
Anything featured that makes life easier, performance or up keep??

It would be a low boost application because of my .30 milled heads, btw would that help it being quiet because it wouldn't work as hard???

***looking to get boost certified :nice: and you guys know your stuff, so thnx again!!!

• Sponsors(?)

84Ttop

They make new pistons every day, so why worry?
Mod Dude
Jul 2, 2009
South Jersey
Used superchargers are a sketchy thing in my opinion. Personally I would only consider buying one used if A i knew where/who it came from and trusted that source or B could see the unit fully operational before I purchased it. I'm sure plenty of people have had much success buying used and while I've never been burned buying used parts I'm always a skeptic.

If you are set of buy used I will offer you this guideline.
I prefer Vortech/Paxton and will not even consider another brand for a numerous amount of reasons of which I can elaborate if you so wish.
Always grab the serial number and call the manufacture. They can tell you when it was built and if there were any service records. This verifies the story you get from the seller. If the say it's been recently rebuilt then you need to verify that. If it looks old, chances are it is.
As far as mileage goes, I would like to trust someone but who the heck is trustworthy anymore?
If you are buying used expect to be in the 1,500-2,000 range for a good COMPLETE kit. I say complete because the cost to piece together brackets and hardware becomes very expensive very quickly.
Rebuilding costs vary depending on the damage. If you have a touched down impeller and you need the volute machined or replaced then we are talking big money, bearings alone could cost you several hundred dollars to have replaced. Typical rebuild cost that I have seen varies from $450-$900
If you are going to still consider going the used direction you will want to look for the SQ models from vortech (super quiet) or the Si models which are also very quite. I would not even consider a sn-89/sn-95, A trim, B trim or V1 S trim.

Compression makes no difference in the sound that the blower makes on the car. This is a tough road if you decide to go used. New kits are reasonable and very reliable. I personally can not afford to replace tons and tons of broken used parts and am very selective if I decide to buy items used.

I'm more than happy to help you with this so please don't hesitate to ask me anything.

Reactions: mikestang63

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
In the garage
Used superchargers are a sketchy thing in my opinion. Personally I would only consider buying one used if A i knew where/who it came from and trusted that source or B could see the unit fully operational before I purchased it. I'm sure plenty of people have had much success buying used and while I've never been burned buying used parts I'm always a skeptic.

I prefer Vortech/Paxton and will not even consider another brand for a numerous amount of reasons of which I can elaborate if you so wish.
Always grab the serial number and call the manufacture. They can tell you when it was built and if there were any service records. This verifies the story you get from the seller. If the say it's been recently rebuilt then you need to verify that. If it looks old, chances are it is.
As far as mileage goes, I would like to trust someone but who the heck is trustworthy anymore?
If you are buying used expect to be in the 1,500-2,000 range for a good COMPLETE kit. I say complete because the cost to piece together brackets and hardware becomes very expensive very quickly.
Rebuilding costs vary depending on the damage. If you have a touched down impeller and you need the volute machined or replaced then we are talking big money, bearings alone could cost you several hundred dollars to have replaced. Typical rebuild cost that I have seen varies from $450-$900
If you are going to still consider going the used direction you will want to look for the SQ models from vortech (super quiet) or the Si models which are also very quite. I would not even consider a sn-89/sn-95, A trim, B trim or V1 S trim.

Compression makes no difference in the sound that the blower makes on the car. This is a tough road if you decide to go used. New kits are reasonable and very reliable. I personally can not afford to replace tons and tons of broken used parts and am very selective if I decide to buy items used.

I'm more than happy to help you with this so please don't hesitate to ask me anything.
X2 . Buying a used supercharger or heads is a crap shoot unless you can go and touch them in person before buying. Everyone is selling a low miles, hardly used, never raced part that they just mocked up. :rolleyes:

Grabbin' Asphalt

Mustang Master
Jun 10, 2013
Atlanta, Ga

Sweet exactly what i needed to know, I don't like ever like sketchy.
I want reliable for sure, thanks for the heads up :flag:

As I start poking around in this and gaining knowledge, I'll try and throw some more questions as the show up, thnx again.

Grabbin' Asphalt

Mustang Master
Jun 10, 2013
Atlanta, Ga
^^^^^^ROTFL!!! ....Super Hijack :eek:

Im in in Atl, may be better for you to ebay it or place it on the classifieds list. I gotta hear it, touch it, feel it......per stated by Super Charger Certified bro's!!!:flag:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Schnelly Would you buy a used GT500 Supercharger? 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 1
M Should i buy this? V-1 S-trim used Supercharger? HELP!!! 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 11
0 Thinking about buying used supercharger... SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 8
M Buying a used Mustang - how do you know what options it has? 2015+ (S550) Mustang -General/Talk 2
D Need help on used 2000 GT I'm looking to buy. What has been done to the engine? 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 2
D Probably The Last Used Mustang I Will Ever Buy. 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 4
S Engine Help. Ordering A Used 4.6 3v 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 1
E Any Good Places To Buy Used Pi Sohc Motor? 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 3
J Vin Number Lookup For 2014 Gt Need To Know Options 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 4
90lxwhite Yall Ever Buy Used Seat Belts? 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 14
1 New To This Site, Am Looking To Buy A Used Mustang But Don't Know Where To Start. The Welcome Wagon 2
T Buying A Used 94-04 Mustang And Fixing It Up Cheap, My Diy Experience 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 5
FoxMustangLvr Engine Thinking About Buying A Used Engine, Need Advice Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 10
NIKwoaC Am I Nuts To Buy A Used Tko? 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 46
B Buying My First Fox Body Mustang Could Use Some Help 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 14
B What To Look For When Buying Used Mustang Spindles? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 2
W Drivetrain What To Look For When Buying A Used Aod? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 19
K Tips On Buying Used Heads Classic Mustang Specific Tech 4
S Buying Used '11 V6 Perf Pkg W/sync - What To Get? 2010 - 2014 Specific Tech 3
Ethereal Zer0 Possibly buying a used 2010 GT500 2007 - 2014 Shelby GT500 Tech 9
S Used S197 buying guide? 06-09 'vert. 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 5
HurricaneJesus Things to look out for buying a used 2010GT 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 14
B Buying a used tuner 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 1
P first time potential mustang owner - what to look for when buying used? 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 23
The Shape Buy a used S197 GT or a NEW V6???? 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 52
I Buying a used tuner?? 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 9
callys Want to buy used 5.0 Regional Forums and Event Information 1
0 buying used exhaust parts 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 19
F Buying used mustang advice 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 14
Memphis Raines CAI/tuner dilema: Keep S&B and buy a tuner, or buy used JLT/tuner for $350-ish? 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 8
shttygtstang Buying a used car with stroker 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 9
A Buying used wheels/tires 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 2
69shocktower how to buy a used vortech SC ? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
I Would you buy used gears and differential? 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 8
SteedaQ400 Good place to buy a used 5.0 engine? 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 4
D Any issues with buying a used H pipe? 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 18
shootshescores Any luck with buying used heads online? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
Z Mach 1 Who used to own this Mach1? Thinking of buying.. Special Production 2
9 thinking about buying some used tires/wheels 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 3
D Pros/Cons on buying used Injectors Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
Foxfan88 should I buy an old used SN paxton? 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 15
Georgie Tips for buying used engine? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
F Buying a Used Block I Have a Question Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
GSXRMIXXER Why I hate buying used cars! 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 2
X Buying a used Accufab Plenum / TB kit 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 25
ScortLX Anything I should worry about buying a Predator used? 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 7
KBCobra95 Buyer Beware!!! Use Caution buying from MUSTANG WAREHOUSE!!! Buyer Beware!!! 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 34
H What to look for when buying a used 2003 Cobra? SVT Tech Forum 6
N egr question buy new or use without Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
Killercanary Question on buying a used MSD 6al 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 5