Buying Advice - What Year/models Are Best?

bgprest

Feb 28, 2017
Hello all -

I'm wanting to finally buy a Mustang and I really like the 2005-2009 body style the best, but may also consider the 2010 and up ones.

I'm looking for style and drivability over performance. I'm hoping to take my time and find a stock "cream-puff" with no accidents and low mileage. I most definitely want a manual transmission and probably a V6. I also really like the look of the grill and striping on what I think is the "pony package". I also really like the Bullitt style wheels.

Any advice would be welcome as to what year models to concentrate on or which to avoid. Like I said, I prefer the styling of the pre-2010 models, but are there any compelling reasons that I should rather look at the 2010+ ones?

Thanks for any input.

Brian

• Sponsors (?)

If you aren't concerned with performance, a Toyota/Scion/Subaru BRZ or FRS is a better bet and value.

Thanks, but the thing is that I've always wanted to own a Mustang and I really do like the styling of the 2005-2009 model years.

I do like the BRZ and FRS cars but I'm thinking they are a little cramped as far as getting in and out and I'm tall - and certainly not a young guy anymore!

Buy a 2008 and up GT and you will be just fine. 2008 has the revised one piece spark plugs and updates from earlier years. The engine will last a long time and sounds so good stock. I have a 2006 GT and have fixed all of the early engineering issues...water leaks, hood corrosion, spark plug break offs, front suspension popping noises, and more. Still love my car and the way it looks. Find an older owner for a well care for car. The Bullet wheels are the best and can be purchased from New Take Offs . com if you buy car without them.

Buy a 2008 and up GT and you will be just fine. 2008 has the revised one piece spark plugs and updates from earlier years. The engine will last a long time and sounds so good stock. I have a 2006 GT and have fixed all of the early engineering issues...water leaks, hood corrosion, spark plug break offs, front suspension popping noises, and more. Still love my car and the way it looks. Find an older owner for a well care for car. The Bullet wheels are the best and can be purchased from New Take Offs . com if you buy car without them.

Hey - thanks for the great advice.

So you'd recommend the GT (with a V8) over the V6? I was kind of thinking that it might be more likely to find one that's been less abused if I concentrated on V6 models.

The V-8 is much smoother than the rough V-6 and it comes with a beefier 8.8 rear axle and two piston front brakes calipers. And the true dual exhaust with H pipe from the factory are to die for. The 5 speed automatic is actually faster than the stick and makes a great cruiser . All of this is coming from a certified MCA judge.

Thanks, but the thing is that I've always wanted to own a Mustang and I really do like the styling of the 2005-2009 model years.

I do like the BRZ and FRS cars but I'm thinking they are a little cramped as far as getting in and out and I'm tall - and certainly not a young guy anymore!

Agreed. I used to own a Nissan Altima SE-R 6-speed. Thought I wanted a Nissan 370Z until I test drove it. I felt like I was drive a tiny, RWD version of the Altima.

I also recommend V8. The price difference on a used car should be pretty minor at this point.

Hey - thanks for the great advice.

So you'd recommend the GT (with a V8) over the V6? I was kind of thinking that it might be more likely to find one that's been less abused if I concentrated on V6 models.
That's actually an interesting thought. People with a GT are more prone to drive the vehicle hard than someone might with a V6, but it definitely depends on the driver. Maybe you can interview who drove the car you want to get a feel on how they treated the car. LOL Me, I've driven my V6 hard here and there but have also done some things to it to make it faster. If I were to sell mine, I'd put all the factory stuff and settings back on and offer the extras at a reasonable price.. or sell them online. I probably wouldn't tell someone I drove the vehicle hard, but if they asked me, I'd probably divulge a little of that. Good thinking. :cool: