Buying parts need advice a.s.a.p.

Hi Guys,
I have a basically stock '99 Gt that I have purchased a KB 1.7L twin screw kit with the larger maf, 9 and 10 psi pulley, bbk throttle body, K&N intake, flowmaster exhaust and fuel items.

I'm getting ready to buy other items. Things, I am needing to buy are cams, MSD ignition, headers (long tubes), clutch, and gears. What I am wondering is what grind cam should I get that suits my supercharger? I want mid to high rpm power delivery so I was thinking somewhere around a 27X grind. MSD I was looking at the MSD 6A kit, Headers I was looking at the BBK long tubes, clutch is where I'm a little lost on what to get and the gears I was thinking FRPP 3.55's. The tune is going to be an SCT in house tune here local so it's fine.

Am I on the right track or are there some changes I need to make on this set-up or maybe something missing that I need? Need to know fast because I want the car ready for spring and to hit the track.

Much appreciated guys!

Joe

• Sponsors (?)

I think I would hold off on the cams and save up for a built motor and do the cams then, for gears 3.55 or 3.73s are the norm for a KB car, the ignition you really dont need, clutch I can't help you on but my friend always used Centerforce in his 03 Cobra, and the headers I have JBAs and like them but I've seen alot of people run BBKs.

What do you have for fuel and MAF?

It's been a while since I have looked at the details of my parts but I have 42# injectors and a 90mm maf. I've seriously been sitting no the current parts I have for about 6 months now. Not that I don't have the money, it's just the time to actually sit down and get everything. I'm wanting to finish this now.

Why hold off on the cams untill a built motor? (Looking at your mod list I see you have cams but no mention of a built motor) A built motor does nothing for the aid in cams. A proper cam set-up can net gains through out the rev range. I'm looking for the most power under the curve more than peak power. I see TONS of guys go with cams on a completely unopened motor. Cams will be added.

Anyone else wanna comment?

It's been a while since I have looked at the details of my parts but I have 42# injectors and a 90mm maf. I've seriously been sitting no the current parts I have for about 6 months now. Not that I don't have the money, it's just the time to actually sit down and get everything. I'm wanting to finish this now.

Why hold off on the cams untill a built motor? (Looking at your mod list I see you have cams but no mention of a built motor) A built motor does nothing for the aid in cams. A proper cam set-up can net gains through out the rev range. I'm looking for the most power under the curve more than peak power. I see TONS of guys go with cams on a completely unopened motor. Cams will be added.

Anyone else wanna comment?

I do have a built motor that is the first thing in my sig., VT Sportsman SB.

No a built motor doesn’t do any thing for cams but unless you’re doing the work yourself cams are expensive to install, close to a $1000 or more depending on where you go. Even if you are installing them yourself we’re talking about taking apart most of your motor to install them. When the motors that far apart its good to do all the internal stuff at once to save time and money. Unless you don’t plan on doing forged internals for a long time, I would seriously wait. Also 450rwhp is the “safe” limit on our motors. Anything past that and it’s a ticking time-bomb. Depending on how much boost you run along with cams that could put you well over that. Just make sure you get a good tune what ever you do.

As for the guys you see running Heads and Cams, most are NA guys where they don’t need a built motor and aren’t planning on one ay time soon.

You do what you want but that would be the smart way to do it. After adding any type of PA you better have the money saved up for a built motor because it can go at anytime. I’ve seen blown motors with guys running stock boost and I’ve seen others with 500-550rwhp on the stock block running around. Its all in the tune but even cars with good tunes have blown motors.