Buying used mustang advice

FalconGuy016

Oct 26, 2004
Northern VA
Hey stangnet haven't been around here for years, or at least 2, it's nice to be back :p

I used to have an 04 GT, then a bear ran in front of it on a highway. Been having fun in an STi since but about to get rid of it for some practical reasons, but really because of the insurance... awful.

I'm looking for another 99-04, now they're gonna be probably 70,000+ miles in the good price range. I have ZERO experience buying cars above 40k miles and need some advice for important things to look for when buying one of these used. Right now I'm looking for accidents, how many owners, etc, but what I'm really trying to find signs for is hard use or plain abuse - I don't know where to start. Are there any major telltale signs I can see? Or not? Anything mustang specific?

Also for scheduled maintenance, I'm just going to look in the manual and ask them what has been done, but are there some things listed in there I shouldn't really bust balls over? Are there some that I really should?

One last thing, when I was around back when I had the impression the T3650 was superior to the T45, but google searches about it now seem to have mixed opinions, some very positive about the T45 over the T3650. I was gonna keep to 2002-2004 for the tranny, but if I'm wrong about that it'd open up a whole new price field for me and more money for mods :)

Thanks!!

• Sponsors (?)

Find one that is as stock as possible with the lowest miles you can afford.

When you get close to a deal, post the specifics here for review/discussion.

Reactions: 1 user
Look for leaks, listen for strang noise's, look for smoke, look underneth for rust.
If the interior shows abuse its a bad sign. Get the carfax for sure, it tells
you where the car has been and how many owners it has had as well
as any warrenty work that has been done.

Happy to see you want to come back to mustangs even though
a 2004 Subaru Impreza STi is a very nice vehicle to own.
I subjest to buy from a reputable dealership or try to fined
a nice one private owner.Most of the time with one good test drive
you can tell if a car is good or not.Definitley get a carfax or carcheck.
Inspect the vehicle very well and ask questions about the car.
General maintenance is very important so make sure the person did
there oil changes,major services etc.
I have always liked the T45 for drag racing and would prefer a T45
more than a TR3650.Just make sure to get a aftermarket shifter like the
Steeda Tri Ax shifter because anything is better than the stock
shifter.Good luck with your mustang search.
New Cars, Used Cars - Find Cars at AutoTrader.com
New & Used Cars for Sale, Auto Dealers, Car Reviews and Car Finance Advice
mustangtrader.com
eBay Motors - Autos, Used Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Trucks, Parts, Accessories, RVs and Other Vehicles
CarMax - Browse used cars and new cars online

At less than 75k miles, a Mustang that has been taken care of and hasn't been flogged at every stoplight will still drive like a new car. I drove a bunch of 94-98 when I was looking for mine and it was very easy to tell the difference on a test drive.

Don't fall in love with the first one you find, there are a lot of Mustangs out there. Take your time and drive as many as you can get your hands on.

Don't fret over the transmissions, either of them are fine for normal use, just get the best car you can find in your budget.

Look for leaks, listen for strang noise's, look for smoke, look underneth for rust.
If the interior shows abuse its a bad sign. Get the carfax for sure, it tells
you where the car has been and how many owners it has had as well
as any warrenty work that has been done.

Plus, a carfax will show any maintenance done at the dealer. My car had every oil change that was done on it on the carfax.

I have always liked the T45 for drag racing and would prefer a T45
more than a TR3650.Just make sure to get a aftermarket shifter like the
Steeda Tri Ax shifter because anything is better than the stock
shifter.Good luck with your mustang search.[/url]

I was just wondering why you like the T-45 over the TR3650.
Don't fall in love with the first one you find, there are a lot of Mustangs out there. Take your time and drive as many as you can get your hands on.

Don't fret over the transmissions, either of them are fine for normal use, just get the best car you can find in your budget.

+1. Just remember it's your money. Try out as many Mustangs as you can and get a carfax on each.

I personally think maintanance is MUCH more important than miles. You can tell which cars are well taken care of and which aren't just by looking at the general condition. If the interior and paint is generally clean, with all the accessories in good working condition, and the normal wear items aren't worn out, you are probably looking at a good car. My 97 has 170k miles, but you'd never know it. I try to clean it inside and out regularly and keep it in top running condition by replacing anything that makes noise, is soft, or otherwise worn. It makes a huge difference in the general felling of a car by just replacing the shocks and keeping it tuned up with fresh plugs.
As for T45 vs TR3650... the biggest problem with the T45 is the shift forks. If you plan to do any power shifting, you may want to stick with the TR3650 because the shift forks are very expensive to replace on the T45. The TR3650 seems to have more problems in normal use than the T45, but probably won't fall apart the first time you miss a gear trying to powershift.

IMG_1578.JPG