Buzzing sound in Neutral???

lil OH

Mar 21, 2010
Boston
Anyone know why my car is making a "buzzing sound" in neutral? If I put the clutch in, the sound goes away. It's really annoying (hopefully not harmful) and I wanted to get an idea before I bring it back to the shop.

When I bought the car, I had my mechanic do a tune up and he fixed it but said it might come back and a week later it did. I think he also said it would be an expensive fix too and I just saved up enough money for some mods...really appreaciate any feedback:hail2:

P.S. - Second gear is really hard to get into gear...is this common in 2003 GT's or could these problems be related? Thanks again!

• Sponsors (?)

It is probably that your throwout bearing failed.
This indeed is a common issue with Ford Mustangs.
My throwout bearing failed and I didn't change it soon enough
and my failed throwout bearing made my clutch prematurely fail. :mad:
I ended up having to replace my clutch,flywheel, and throwout bearing.
Change it out soon man or you will be sorry.

It is probably that your throwout bearing failed.
This indeed is a common issue with Ford Mustangs.
My throwout bearing failed and I didn't change it soon enough
and my failed throwout bearing made my clutch prematurely fail. :mad:
I ended up having to replace my clutch,flywheel, and throwout bearing.
Change it out soon man or you will be sorry.

Might as well change everything at the same time. It it ok to let it make some noise for a few thousand miles in most cases.

Thanks a lot for the tips man. Do you think the throwout bearing failing also makes it harder to shift (esp. 2nd)? Is this an expensive fix? Its less than replacing everything but just want to have an idea so i dont get screwed on a price.

Thanks a lot for the tips man. Do you think the throwout bearing failing also makes it harder to shift (esp. 2nd)? Is this an expensive fix? Its less than replacing everything but just want to have an idea so i dont get screwed on a price.

Shouldn't have any effect on your shifting unless it's to the point where your clutch is not disengaging.

The part itself is relatively cheap. I have yet to change one on these cars, but you normally have to drop the tranny out to change it. This is why I'm saying you may as well save up and change everything related to the clutch: flywheel, pressure plate, clutch, clutch fork, TO bearing.

I waited and my throwout bearing looked like a melted and shriveled
up mushroom.It did make my mustang harder to shift because my
clutch was prematurely failing due to the bad throwout bearing I had.
lil HO I highly recommend saving up and replacing everything if you can.
Yes flywheel,clutch,pressure plate,throwout bearing,pilot bearing,
clutch fork,and OEM clutch cable etc.
You do have to drop the transmission to be able install everything.
It's not cheap but,well worth it though.