Bye Bye Tri Ax....Hello MGW!!!

EPIK

Jul 3, 2004
LEFT COAST
Well I installed a Steeda Tri ax in my Mach about 6 months ago & @ first I thought it was good. This was the 1st aftermarket shifter I ever had so it felt way better & shorter than the stocker, but it always felt too notchy to me. Today I found a good deal on a used MGW for $150 with the boot & shift knob (except the knob has a Cobra snake on it, but I will use it 4 now since I broke my Mach 1 shift knob & my new 1 has yet to arrive).

Just lookin at the MGW, it looks like a very quality peice, but after installing it & testing it out, OH MY GOD!!! It feels 100 times smoother & more precise than the notchy, noisy Tri Ax... Havent got to bang gears yet, but in normal driving its hard to tell that its a performance shifter. I will give my full report later when I can really test it out....

On a side note, it kinda pisses me off that Steeda doesnt say anything in there instructions about leaving out the shift stops on the Tri ax if your car has a TR3650, since they have there own built in shift stops. Apparently the shift stops on the Tri ax, or any aftermarket shifter can actually damage a TR3650 or T56 tranny if u use the supplied aftermarket shift stops. That makes me not want to buy anymore steeda products.

• Sponsors (?)

On a side note, it kinda pisses me off that Steeda doesnt say anything in there instructions about leaving out the shift stops on the Tri ax if your car has a TR3650, since they have there own built in shift stops. Apparently the shift stops on the Tri ax, or any aftermarket shifter can actually damage a TR3650 or T56 tranny if u use the supplied aftermarket shift stops. That makes me not want to buy anymore steeda products.

Where did you hear this?

Dustin were did you come up on the deal. I feel your pain, I have the same one you used to have and your right, WWAAYYY to notchy...I swtiched to the UPR setup and that was even better than the steeda, but if the MGW performs as good as most say..damn I need toget me one !

I thought it was common knowledge with newer Stangs not to use your shiftstops anyway? That being said I know of a couple people who ended up with messed up trannies even though the TR3650 was supposed to have internal stops.

I kept the stops in the shifter (pro 5.0) and iv been driving it like that and BANGING the gears for around 50,000 miles. Whoever told you that leaving the stops in will damage your transmission, was totally miss informed! The stops help make SURE it doesnt go past the trannys internal stops...just a little more insurance :)

And I LOVE my pro 5.0...it freegin rocks! I have the steeda handle on it and with this handle, it is in my book PERFECT....I couldnt think of anything that needs to be or could be improved :nice: . (the handle that comes with it SUCKS BTW)

I hate my triax, I just don't want to dump any more money into a stupid shifter. I got the Triax based on other Stangnet experiences and was told to set the stops behind the factory for extra insurance.

I kept the stops in the shifter (pro 5.0) and iv been driving it like that and BANGING the gears for around 50,000 miles. Whoever told you that leaving the stops in will damage your transmission, was totally miss informed! The stops help make SURE it doesnt go past the trannys internal stops...just a little more insurance :)

For what it's worth I used the stops on my tri-ax in both my '02 GT and '03 Mach 1, though I don't race like you, I do drive it pretty hard on the streets pretty much everywhere I go. And I might be in the minority but I do like the positive metal gated feeling I get from the tri-ax, but that's just me, plus I couldn't justify spending more money on basically the same thing for some smoother shifts. Especially since I haven't missed 3rd gear in about 5 years since I had the Steeda to begin with.

Just wondering are there any links to the information about not setting the stops?

I hated the tri ax that much that I thought it was worth me buying an MGW, & besides it was a great deal considering he threw in the $60 MGW race composite shift knob. If it didnt have a cobra logo on it I would keep it, because it feels nicer than the Mach 1 shift ball. I love the look of the Mach knob though.

Besides, if i can sell my tri ax, I will only have spent $25-$35 on the MGW.

After driving with the MGW some more today, I love this thing....

I hated the tri ax that much that I thought it was worth me buying an MGW, & besides it was a great deal considering he threw in the $60 MGW race composite shift knob. If it didnt have a cobra logo on it I would keep it, because it feels nicer than the Mach 1 shift ball. I love the look of the Mach knob though.

i bought the composite knob along with the shifter, i've had the old style gripper knob for years and felt it was time for a change

i used the composite piece on the stock shifter for a day (didn't have trans fluid yet) and loved it, then i installed the mgw shifter. didn't like it at all, had to change back (the knob not the shifter, i love the thing)

the angle is too far (orange handle) and the composite knob needs to be used vertically, how i prefer it. it's a pain in the ASS trying to find a red one:notnice: