c-clip/axle/gear questions help?!?

Orange...

Aug 22, 2004
SASKATOON
so I (half) changed the rear end gears today. I got everything set up to spec... however there is a problem when taking out the c-clips... I had to hammer in the axles to get enough room for the c-clips to get out. (I replaced the seals, bearings okay) on the driver side that worked, but on the passenger side I had to pry on the speed sensor and still hammer on it... now the questions...

1: is there a simpler way to do this?
2: if I do the same to get them back in won't I damage the new axle seals?
3: why did 6 things have to go wrong with my first gear install????
(broken nut that holds in pin, then the c-clips, then the shimming was messed up, the pinion nut broke, now the axles won't go back in) , last time I do this...

• Sponsors (?)

well if anyone cares... I got it all back together this morning at work... I had to hammer the passenger side c-clip in at an angle but it went in.. the backlash is 100% accurate but the gear pattern was a little sharp... but I think it'll do... it might be a little bit noisy, but I can live with that. I ended up rebuilding the posi and it was weird but it didn't pop or anything when I was turning, and so far there is no weird noises.. I did the proper break in routine and everything so I hope it lasts... got the speedo gear in place and everything seems great.

so all in all it was decent, I got it done in about 8 hours (not bad considering book time is 7.5 and this was the first time).

So now I can join the 3:73 club (if there is one) :nono:

And this is why......

I posted a thread asking where I might be able to buy a complete rearend with everything I want in it already so I can just I can just remove and replace the whole thing. Sounds like a nightmare I don't care to have. Glad to hear you got it working though. Hope it turns out well for you. I'm all for do it yourself....everything so far on mine I have done. But it has all been "external" stuff. "Internal" things scare the hell out of me.

when you say "a bit noisy" is it under load and coasting?

if pinion depth and backlash is good there shouldn't be a lot of noise.

pull the cover after a while to recheck the wear pattern.

did you prussian blue it in?

even if it is noisy it should last.

billfisher: no, no, no it's not noisy... I just said that it might be with the wear pattern I got. I used just the regular white "paint" (for lack of better word at my tiredness). I will be checking the pattern again when I change the lube in there (hmmmm... more friction modifier...) after what is it... 300-500 mi?

NX281 GT: I'll charge 1/2 of what a garage does ... but I might be a little far away for you lol...

CVGT: this is actually quite a simple job you just have to be very percise with the settings... or there could be trouble.

Now I did this without a pinion depth guage and very limited use of the magnetic backlash tool that I forget the name of... (Im sure the local parts store will lend one out)

On a side note, you know what... I got used gears (with only 300km's on them) for $20, a shim and crushbearing etc. kit for $40 and misc. parts for $100 (so thats $160 CAN$$) where if I bought stuff from my shop it would have been: $350 gears, shim and crushbearing etc. kit for $140, and misc parts for $140, then labour would have been $562, so I saved almost $1000 doing it myself and it only took me 8 hours MYSELF, so just remember that. I'm only a first year apprentice and haven't taken diffs yet.

nice job,i have done a few rear diffs and gears but really dont like doing it for someone else,scares me to think of a car leaving here and how pist they would be to have to bring it back for a do over.