Fox C-Clip eliminators

My92cashtrap

May 11, 2019
Holland MI
I've seen post asking to use them or not...but can someone explain why they're needed? To keep the axle from "walking out" should the c-clip break due to power/grip?

Sorry for the newb question but I'd honestly like a factual answer.

TIA

• Sponsors (?)

The c clips keep the axle from flying out of the side of the car if the c clips break. Disc brakes do the same thing, with the caliper bracket and rotor holding it all together. Lol

If you have drum brakes, and the C-clip fails, this happens.

id_102675_045400f62d3c451bb0f87f85cbda21dad546a4ec.jpg

With disk brakes, like said previously, the caliper bracket might keep the axle in....provided you aren't in a high G turn and overstress the bracket. :)

To say it in more detail. The factory axle setup holds the axle in with a c-clip inside the differential. If the axle brakes between the differential and the wheel, the wheel comes off the car. The c-clip eliminator uses a pressed on setup at the end of the axle to keep the wheel on the car if the axle brakes. Having a disk brake instead of a drum may or may not keep the wheel on if the axle fails. Generally speaking, if you are running slicks, or some variant of sticky bias ply tire, there is enough vibration and side load to rip the brake caliper right off anyway.

Kurt

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
you kinda answered it yourself.
pretty good for a 'noob' :nice:

It's honestly good to see someone do research and only post for confirmation.

More detail. The best protection against axle failure is forged axles over the factory cast ones. They aren't that expensive. All axles are designed to fail at a certain point, which in these cars is between the differential and the wheel bearing. That is to say, the axle has a significantly smaller diameter between the differential and the wheel bearing than it does between the wheel bearing and the wheel hub. With the c-clip eliminators; should the axle get more torque than it can handle, it will definitely snap in the safe spot, not the danger spot.

Replacing your factory cast axles with forged ones is the first step. C-clip eliminators are really only for people who are running drag tires. They really aren't necessary for street cars running on street tires. With street tires, it is almost certain the tire will lose traction before the axle breaks. It's a "weakest link" situation.

Kurt

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users
The axles themselves aren't cast, they're made from a rod of steel. Probably something like 1020 or 4140 I'd imagine. Depending on what kind of steel they're made of, the properties of said steel will determine how much abuse they'll take. Use of a steel that's too hard and the axles can break, but use of a steel that is too soft and they can twist. A casting is no good for this application.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
The axles themselves aren't cast, they're made from a rod of steel. Probably something like 1020 or 4140 I'd imagine. Depending on what kind of steel they're made of, the properties of said steel will determine how much abuse they'll take. Use of a steel that's too hard and the axles can break, but use of a steel that is too soft and they can twist. A casting is no good for this application.

Sorry, I don't know why I said cast axles. The aftermarket ones like the Mosers have a better forging of steel which makes them stronger.

Kurt

As far as stock axles, we were going down the interstate when a Granada on the other side lost a left rear wheel and a short part of the axle. Pretty soon it was ahead of the car, headed towards the median. I would not want to see that repeated with slicks and the front wheels off the ground at the track. I do not want to see it repeated at all. Good thing the Granada probably had vinyl upholstery.
Press on bearings would have helped prevent this unless the break was right at the flange.

• Haha