C&L MAFS---Power gain?

I'm about to recieve the 76mm C&L in a couple of days and was wondering how much power would I gain with an essentially stock 5.0? My sig has the list of mods done so far. I know I still need to replace my TB as well. Most of the ads say about 10-15hp. Is this true?

• Sponsors (?)

You should see a nice increase in power. Although you might have to remove your MAC CAI if its a fender mount. I was told you cant have any type of bend before the C&L meter - after is ok, but not before. You wont get a good read on the meter. But thats just what I've been told. Not for sure facts. Anyone help us w/that? Thats why I dont have a fender mounted CAI.

subscribing....this mignt be by next mod.

Edit: I've have tried to read up on this too. He's (owner) has got some links (www.cnlperformance.com) to mag articles where they tested them on stock motors. I think they report something like 10 rwhp. I also want to hear of some experiences from people who use them.

I got the C&L 76mm MAF with their truflow inlet pipe and a 9" K&N conical filter. It also came with a plastic "heat shield" but i dont' think it does much since it doesn't completely seal the filter off from the engine bay. The K&N is still in the same spot as the stock filter, just mostly blocked off from the engine bay. Bought it off ebay for $260 I think. or was it $160? I dunno. Whatever sounds more correct.

When I bought it, I had ZERO mods done to the car. It was COMPLETELY stock, right down to the air silencer lol. I seriously doubt I gained 10rwhp. Maybe like 5 or so. It didn't FEEL like 10rwhp anyways. But the car did seem to pull more in the upper rpms (4500 +). I am not disappointed, because I know once I do some more work to the engine (intake, heads, etc.) it will show it's true worth. I think if I did it over again I'd get underdrive pulleys and rear gears first - but I'm getting those in the spring so it's all good.

BTW, from what I've heard, if you get the MAF, u should either mount it INSIDE the federwell, or put the air filter directlly in front of it. Like StangTtops said, if there is a bend, the airflow is altered and it will read wrong. Also make sure you get a meter calibrated for ur injector size. Stock GT's (at least the 94/95's) have 19lb injectors

Reactions: 1 user
I have the 76mm with tube. I added it when my motor was pretty much stock. I definatly felt it, good mod. I had it on my MAC Fenderwell CAI. The tube is too short, so I had to go the home depot and get a 3" extention. I think the main advantage of the C&L is that if you get new injectiors, all you need is a new sample tube, around $30, while with other brands you need to get it reprogrammed for more than $100. I have the Moroso CAI, wish I had the AFM powerpipe. Tax return comming.

I just put on my 75mm Pro-M maf.At first the car ran like crap! Then I was told just to twist the meter part towards the motor,and woolaa!! I noticed a nice increase!! My stang now has a "Growl"!!That along with my Dense air charger ( CAI ),I have a 12-15 HP gain.What a great little mod!!

I got a great hp pickup when I did mine. I had nothing but gears, and headers. Idle might be off at first, you'll have to mess with it. and, your cold morning starts might require you to feather the gas a bit but it's so worth it

Michael Yount said:
Any gain will be marginal - the stock lower intake is the biggest bottleneck; changes upstream of it won't make a whole lot of difference unless it's changed too.
I agree,the lower intake,and the egr bumps(By the exhaust ports on the stock heads) really strangle the motor. Im saving money so I can get a t-moss lower intake,and thumper heads.Im keeping my stock cam,I just want the motor to breath freely!! These 5.0's have alot of potential!(Totally stock!!)

I dynoed my 89 with the stock MAF with 19lb injectors then swapped to the C&L 76 with 24lb injectors and saw exactly 0 hp and 0tq. I got the exact same numbers on both runs. My air/fuel ratio was the same on both runs also.

pthornton said:
I dynoed my 89 with the stock MAF with 19lb injectors then swapped to the C&L 76 with 24lb injectors and saw exactly 0 hp and 0tq. I got the exact same numbers on both runs. My air/fuel ratio was the same on both runs also.
My dense air charger was dynoed (without 75maf,had stock one in) and got 6.9 HP to the wheels!! BUT,,,,BUT the big story here was it added 20,,,,,yes I said 20,pounds of torque.You can talk to the owner of dense air charger,intake system,he will back me up!!! On a 93lx stock motor!!!

pthornton said:
Yeah, but everybody knows, that 24lb's on a stock motor is WAY too much, and Im suprised the power didnt actually go down.

The lb/hr rating on injectors is what they're capable of flowing - not what they flow. They flow what they're told to flow by the computer up to (and down to) their limits. So even if the motor's stock, larger than stock injectors can be used provided the maf or computer are calibrated for the larger injectors. If the fuel pressure stays the same, the proper calibration simply allows the computer to keep the larger injector open for a shorter amount of time than the smaller injector under the same circumstances. So the same amount of fuel is injected by the 19 or the 24 if the cablibration is correct.

Where problems occur is when the engine is capable of moving more air than the smaller injector has the capacity to provide fuel for. That's when moving up in injector size will help things. Problems can also occur when a large injector is asked to inject very small amounts of fuel - for instance at idle.

So--24's on a stock motor can work just fine - but there's no performance benefit; 19's on a modded motor can work fine provided the mods don't cause the motor to require more fuel than the 19's can supply.

Similarly, if an engine is modded to where it wants to move more air than it's maf size will allow (in other words, the maf is the bottleneck to moving more air), than a larger maf will provide a performance benefit. If the maf is not the bottleneck, then moving to a larger one won't provide a performance benefit. Same is true with throttle bodies, manifolds, etc.