Paint and Body C Pillar Bent Or Hatch Alignment

POP goes the cherry, my first post to the site!

On to my problem... the hatch on my '90 GT doesn't seem to want to "fit" properly. On the outside, the gap looks good between the body and the hatch; it shuts and latches fine. BUT... on the inside, I can see massive gaps between the weather stripping and the hatch. I searched the forum and the only thing that I could find referred to the hatch latch needing adjusted. I removed the striker and bumpers completely and the issue is still there, just less prevalent. Is there a chance the inside lip where the weatherstrip attaches is bent somehow? Perhaps from the weight of the hatch where the lift supports mount? If that is the case, why is there also a gap at the rear, below the spoiler mount? It is good at the apex of the 'bend' in the hatch. I believe the hatch is stock, it's metal. Are there any differences in the hatch from year to year regarding the shape or curvature? Any ideas on how to fix?

Hopefully the pictures load...

Gaps look good? Right?
IMG_3023.JPG
IMG_3024.JPG

A small gap, a 1/4" or so. Its under where the wire harness enters the hatch. The light is shining through.
IMG_3027.JPG

Massive gap, 1/2" or more between weatherstripping and hatch.
IMG_3028.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

What does your weatherstrip look like?

Someone makes a aftermarket replacement that doesnt fit well. It took me a while to figure out that the weatherstripping was my issue.

If you don't see welds anywhere like someone replaced the rear quarter then I would have to chalk it up to 90s manufacturing tolerances. Mine is slightly crooked at the roof line but both sides are pretty even.
DPP_0020.jpg
DPP_0021.jpg
DPP_0022.jpg
DPP_0023.jpg

Someone thought it was a good idea to plasti-dip a entire car.

Your lines look good.

I think I could shim the driver corner up higher but then its above the roofline. Passenger corner is slightly below roof line as is.

If it makes you feel any better my friend bought a 2015 mustang and the lines arent all that great either. I hear its the same for the new $60K plus Shelby.

POP goes the cherry, my first post to the site!

On to my problem... the hatch on my '90 GT doesn't seem to want to "fit" properly. On the outside, the gap looks good between the body and the hatch; it shuts and latches fine. BUT... on the inside, I can see massive gaps between the weather stripping and the hatch. I searched the forum and the only thing that I could find referred to the hatch latch needing adjusted. I removed the striker and bumpers completely and the issue is still there, just less prevalent. Is there a chance the inside lip where the weatherstrip attaches is bent somehow? Perhaps from the weight of the hatch where the lift supports mount? If that is the case, why is there also a gap at the rear, below the spoiler mount? It is good at the apex of the 'bend' in the hatch. I believe the hatch is stock, it's metal. Are there any differences in the hatch from year to year regarding the shape or curvature? Any ideas on how to fix?

Hopefully the pictures load...

Gaps look good? Right?
IMG_3023.JPG
IMG_3024.JPG

A small gap, a 1/4" or so. Its under where the wire harness enters the hatch. The light is shining through.
IMG_3027.JPG

Massive gap, 1/2" or more between weatherstripping and hatch.
IMG_3028.JPG
Tell us a little bit about your car.
Is it new to you? Or have you had it for a while?
If you had it for some time, have you recently rebuilt it?
When did you first notice this problem? Is this after being in a body shop? Or have an accident that you repaired at home?
Bad seals could be it, but you do have real nice even gaps. Those gaps you see from the inside are pretty large, seems like some possible damage.
Trying to get an idea if this is new damage or not.
Is the hatch new to your car?
Does the jamb of the hatch look like it's sustained any damage?
Take off the seal around the body opening and look at the metal beneath it, does it look bent?
Not really too many things will cause this. Either, or possibly both, the metal under the seal sustained some damage, or the hatch did.
If it's damage to the body of the car, it will be fairly easy to repair.
Let me know the answer to at least what it looks like in the jamb of the hatch and underneath the seals. A picture of those areas (with the hatch open, obviously) will be doubly great.
Ironically, great fit with those gaps by the way. It's shimmed and fitted nicely. Other than those gaps, of course.:jester:
Btw, hatches are virtually identical on fox bodies other than holes for different spoilers and other smaller things.

Looks good to me as well. These cars have never had the best fitting body parts. Sometimes you have to work with them and make them work.

I would try a new seal and experiment by adjusting the latch as low as possible to close the gap. I had the hatch on my '89 so tight that it was hard to close but it sealed when closed.

Good Luck!

Thanks for all the awesome replies! Unfortunately I think the issue is the roof line. The car is twisted... or wrecked... or the previous owner tried to squeeze a couch into the back:doh:. Something to twist the roof. In either case, it will be a "fun" repair. I have to figure out if the driver side needs to be bent up, the passenger side bent down, or a combination of the two. Here's a picture, it is not as pronounced as it looks though...
IMG_3050.jpg

Thanks for all the awesome replies! Unfortunately I think the issue is the roof line. The car is twisted... or wrecked... or the previous owner tried to squeeze a couch into the back:doh:. Something to twist the roof. In either case, it will be a "fun" repair. I have to figure out if the driver side needs to be bent up, the passenger side bent down, or a combination of the two. Here's a picture, it is not as pronounced as it looks though...
IMG_3050.jpg
Do a plumb bob measurement from the hinge areas to the floor. I can go measure mine and tell you what I got.
Careful about having the interior out, people here will convince you to mini tub @madmike1157 @RaggedGT .

Reactions: 1 user
Does it have Subframe Connectors welded in? If so the previous owner may have welded it when the car was not level thus throwing off the hatch and roof.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes it does :dammit: but everything else aligns fine. I did just notice that the driver side rear quarter was replaced from the roof down so that is probably what is the root of my problems. I'm just going to have to bend and twist sheet metal until I get things to align as best I can. Thanks for the help!