C4 to AOD in a 66 Mustang

mannyjoe

Mar 25, 2007
I am having a very difficult time using the search engine on this forum to find information about this swap. I tried 'C4 to AOD' and 'aod' and 'c4' and all the searches came back with 'sorry nothing found'. I must be doing something wrong.
O.K.
I have a 66 GT Coupe shell, A code, automatic, the car originally had DB,P/S and Air.
It now has a new front suspension, Shelby drop, Roller spring perches, a 1"front sway bar and rebuilt power steering.
I got a really good deal on an AOD out of a 92 Mustang GT and I would like to use it instead of the C4 that came with the car. From Google and Yahoo searches it looks like I would need a new 28oz. flex plate, cross member, and TV cable.
I have the original block plate, torque converter and dipstick. The person who sold me the trans changed his car over to a 5 spd. and says the transmission was fine when he pulled it.
Since I don't know the condition 1st. hand I would like to do the conversion as cheaply as possible. Any information or hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.
mannyjoe

• Sponsors (?)

this swap is fairly easy to do. you need a flexplate with 164 teeth, and a28oz balance factor, and an 11.4" converter bolt circle. summit sells one. this one in fact;

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=FMS-M-6375-G302&autoview=sku

you also need the aod block plate;

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=PMA-PA26445&autoview=sku

you want to use the outer bolt holes for the starter.

you also need the throttle valve cable from lokar products. and make sure you get the adjustment right otherwise you will burn up an AOD.

a piece of 5 1/16 rod, and 2 r.h. thread "tie rod" ends from your local lawn and garden supply house, and you are in business (dont forget to dig up a 5/16 fine thread tap for the rod) it will do wonders to take the slop out of the shift linkage, just dont forget the bushings in the shifter while you have it out!

a piece of 5 1/16 rod, and 2 r.h. thread "tie rod" ends from your local lawn and garden supply house, and you are in business (dont forget to dig up a 5/16 fine thread tap for the rod) it will do wonders to take the slop out of the shift linkage, just dont forget the bushings in the shifter while you have it out!

I think you mean a die for the rod ?

There should be plenty of AOD swap threads on this forum. Did you check the FAQ section at the top ?

Thanks for the responses.
Apperently(sp?) swap was the key word.
I'm a little more of a do-it-yourselfer and am looking for plans or dimensions for the new cross member as I have a small (110v.)MIG and some scrap steel.
The transmission came with dipstick,Convertor,shift cable and block plate.
I found a SFI flex plate (28oz. 164teeth) on e-bay for $39.00. I was going to go to the local Pik-A-Part and get an AOD shifter from the appropiate year mustang.
Again, thanks for quick and accurate responses.
mannyjoe

I'm a little more of a do-it-yourselfer and am looking for plans or dimensions for the new cross member as I have a small (110v.)MIG and some scrap steel.

Don't do that unless you really understand pinion angle. The cross-members are slightly over priced, but the ones that are out there have the correct pinion angle already set.

I was going to go to the local Pik-A-Part and get an AOD shifter from the appropiate year mustang.
mannyjoe

Again, don't (unless you like the look of the new shifter). Its much easier to adapt the shifter linkage of the classics to work with the new trans then it is to convert the car to a late model shifter. If you want an idea of what an over priced kit for this would look like so you can fabricate it yourself (as previously suguested) here ya go:
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb...~S24F0VMI5Q75821010250f~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000016a

I purchased the overprice package for my swap. LOVE IT! That is all I have to say. I ordered everything in one quick stop - The quality of the product was great - and I've heard nothing but great things about the Lokar cables. I will be hopefully dropping my engine and trans in this weekend. I've been waiting on 6 bolts for my flywheel (they arrive today)