c4 to aod swap help

llatour

Jul 11, 2010
New york
Hello everyone. Im doing a AOD swap on my 68 with a 289. The problem im having is tourqe converter clearance. When I measure off the back of the block to the outside of the flywheel im getting 1 4/32in. If i measure to where the Tourqe converter will bolt up I get 1in. When I measure from the tourqe converter pads to the bellhousing I get 30/32in. Ive had the converter in and out a 100 times it doesnt go in anymore. I have another AOD that I get the same mesurement on. Its almost a inch. Ive mixed converters between the two trans. And I get the same measurement. I think its seated. Does anyone have any ideas? Does these measurements sound right? Im going crazy with this. Im ready the pull the motor and try to find out whats wrong without laying on my back. :shrug: Thanks for anyhelp

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the link but I checked that out before. I measured my c4 and im getting the same mesurment. All 3 tranny are just about a inch clearance. Im thinking maybe there something with the flywheel. Its a fp302e that I got new. Im going to try to get my hands on a 5.0 flywheel just to take some measurments.

From your description it's hard to tell exactly what is wrong. It seems to me like you're saying there isn't enough clearance for the trans to go on the engine.

Are you missing a blocking plate? The measurements you gave say "from the back of the block". The trans doesn't mount to the back of the block, there's a blocking plate that should be in between them.

Yes the plates on the block. If I measure from the plate to the flywheel trans side I get (1 4/32). Now if I take a straight edge across the flywheel and measure to converter mount mating surface I get 4/32. The flywheel teeth stick out 4/in more then the surface where the converter pads bolt up. So that gives me in from the block plate to the surface where the converter mating surface. My converter pads to bell-housing clearance is 30/32. If i go by the TCI guide (A and B measurements for installation). I get A=30/32 and B=in A needs to be greater then B with 1/8 of clearance. I have 2 AODs and a c4 and I cant get any of the converters to to go back more than 30/32 to and inch. I looks like a need another 1/8 of clearance.
If anyone has a AOD out or a block around can you campare these measurments for me?
Thanks
Rob

So i think a may have found the problem. After playing with the converter today.. in and out spining it and every other trick there is to get it on. I said to myself I need to look at other things. I have 2 AODS and 2 converters 1 C4 and converter that was already in and working from this car. All 3 trannys give me close to 1in of clearance to the bell housing. So thats makes me think there all seated. Now there has to be something else going on here. I pulled the flywheel off to compare it to the C4 flywheel. After taking some measurements with a straightedge I found that the new flywheel is a extra 1/8 of a inch off the block compared to the C4 wheel. The part# is fp302e and I ordered it new. I was told that this is the right p# for the swap. Does anyone know if it is? Or where I can get the right one?:shrug:

ford still made the c6 trans thru the 90's. I screwed up and grabbed a flexplate at jy from 300 six for my 250, same 164t, but .200 deeper offset. converter studs came thru fully, binding converter. check part#'s c6 against aod. my 250 six ,3.00, is awsome on the freeway. good luck.

Update Fixed problem

The problem was the Offset of the flexplate. I pulled out the new one layed it next to the old one. The new one was 1/8 of a inch deeper. I ordered a another one. This time for a 69mustang with a 351w and a FMX trans and it worked great. Its amazing how some so small can cuase such a problem. thanks everyone for you help. Maybe this thread can help someone else.:nice: