C6 To Aod Swap

dfayette

Feb 19, 2012
I would like to know what success others have had changing to an AOD from either a C6 or C4. Which provider you have used, PATC, Performance Automatic, Lentech, or B&M. And how satisfied were you?
I'm changing my C6, currently behind a 408 stroked Cleveland with 450 hp and 510 ft/lb, to an AOD, but have yet to decide which vendor to use. Not interested in finding a used AOD and getting it rebuilt because a stock AOD won't hold up and good builders are rare. Motor and tranny are currently in a 69 Convertible.
Thanks for the input.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Art Carr at California Performance Transmission builds them too. Please keep us updated on which one you pick and what kind of luck you have with it. I plan to put an AOD in my 68 coupe but I have no idea where I'm gonna buy one from either.

The only performance AOD I've had was built by Greg Moore at Mace-O-Matic Transmissions in Belton, Texas.

Properly built, they're damned-near indestructible. If I was buying from a vendor, I'd buy Lentech based on the one I drove about 12 years ago in a friend's '86 Mustang LX. That transmission was a beast.

i would buy from monster transmission, or lentech, or silver fox. one thing i would spec though is a constant pressure valve body to eliminate the TV cable adjustment. with a constant pressure valve body, the TV cable becomes a kick down cable, and the adjustment is much less critical.

i would also spec a reprogrammed valve body to change the shift pattern from p-r-n-od-3-1 to p-r-n-od/3-2-1. that way you eliminate the 1-3-1 dance to hold first gear, and you change the load path in the transmission to make it more durable as well.

Thanks for the responses. None of the AOD vendors did much to convince me it was the way to go performance wise and still retain my stock look interior, so I ordered a Tremec TKO 5 speed wide ratio.