C6 Tranny's anyone?

vnmsgt

Oct 20, 2003
I was wondering why you do not see too many things about C6 transmissions in mustangs. Its always C4 and AOD's. I understand the weight difference but C6's are practically industructable. I have one in my car with over 500 horses with a wide ratio ford motorsport gears and converter and I swear my tranny is still laughing at me when I get on it. I think they are awesome!!

• Sponsors (?)

dragnazz5.0 said:
they are awesome, and i dont know why people choose the c4 over the c6 except for weight. i guess there are a ton more aftermarket parts for the c4 also
that's the thing, you do not have to put anything into a C6 aftermarket wise to make it strong or stronger except for putting a converter in it. I think for the street it is the way to go.

Is the c6 even an overdrive tranny? If not it's a worthless pos behind anything unless it eats c4's for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It' way too damn heavy imo, and wouldn't have one behind a typical street car making streetcar power. Of course imo a built AOD is the way for a street car, b/c overdrive kicks arse.

90_Red_LX said:
Is the c6 even an overdrive tranny? If not it's a worthless pos behind anything unless it eats c4's for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It' way too damn heavy imo, and wouldn't have one behind a typical street car making streetcar power. Of course imo a built AOD is the way for a street car, b/c overdrive kicks arse.
No they are not overdrive and believe me I wish I had overdrive. With the 3:55 gears and no overdrive I feel like I have 4:30 gears in it. On the highway at about 70 mph I am at about 3500 rpms.

I`ve read that the C-6 robs a lot more horsepower than a C-4.

I don`t know how well they fit in fox bodies.

It`s basically a big block transmission for the older cars/trucks.
The only factory small block C-6 application I can think of was in 72-73 with 351C-4V engines.

My 72 Mach 1 with 351C-4V has a C-6.

8950HO said:
I`ve read that the C-6 robs a lot more horsepower than a C-4.

I don`t know how well they fit in fox bodies.

It`s basically a big block transmission for the older cars/trucks.
The only factory small block C-6 application I can think of was in 72-73 with 351C-4V engines.

My 72 Mach 1 with 351C-4V has a C-6.
You have to get a small bellhousing C6 to fit a 302. Mine bolted right in. The only thing I had to modify was the shift linkage to work with the stock shifter. My driveshaft and everything else from my old combo bolted right up. I have heard also that they will rob a little more HP than a C4. I just like have something reliable even when it is beat on.

vnmsgt said:
why? Never had a problem with mine.

well when you put some horses behind it.. that are worth mentioning then you will lol just not the most widely known and best tranny out there.. from my experience.. i like a good ol' C4

A C6 will suck ~100rwhp on a car pushing 600+hp.

They weigh alot more than a C4 and are quite a bit bigger.

Buddy of mine had a C6 in his 700hp notch and just swapped it for a C4. He put down like 55hp more just by swapping the trans.

Oh and with the C6 he could never lift the front tires. Now they are always up.