CAI and TB Worth it with a Supercharger?

sneaky98gt

10 Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
NC State University
So, I'm in the process of gathering up parts for my supercharger install. I was wondering if you guys thought that a K&N FIPK and/or a 75 mm throttle body were worth it on a supercharged 4.6. If the two together are worth a good amount of horsepower, I was thinking that I might as well go ahead and install them at the same time as the supercharger; that way I don't have to worry about retuning it after I put them on.

Also, anything wrong with the Professional Products TB? I see them for less than half any of the other name brand, and I haven't heard anything bad about them.

• Sponsors (?)

What kind of supercharger are you planning on using?

Any centrifugal S/C will not use a stock-type intake setup, therefore negating the need for a CAI.

A positive displacement S/C, such as a Kenne Bell would use a stock-type intake, and you would benefit from upgrading over stock.

And no, there is nothing wrong with the PP throttle bodies. I am using their 75mm unit with no complaints.

I also have the K&N FIPK. I don't have a single thing bad to say about it, but if I were to upgrade (mine came with the car), I would go JLT. Their intakes are GIANT!

Right on then. Are you sure it mounts up in a manner that it uses a stock intake? I can't recall if an intake comes with the kit, or if you use your stocker.

If you use a stock type, my vote goes to JLT or K&N, in that order.

Yea, it surely looks like it uses the stock intake stuff. The plenum is actually part of the supercharger. All the pictures I've seen look like the stock intake stuff will work.

Also, will the K&N made for the GT fit on a 80 or 90 mm MAF? I'm going to be going to a bigger MAF and was wondering if I need any kind of adapter or anything.

Im sure the larger MAF will work just fine with the FIPK. I too have the FIPK and absolutely love it. The only other CAI I'd go with over the K&N is the JLT.

Yea, it surely looks like it uses the stock intake stuff. The plenum is actually part of the supercharger. All the pictures I've seen look like the stock intake stuff will work.

Also, will the K&N made for the GT fit on a 80 or 90 mm MAF? I'm going to be going to a bigger MAF and was wondering if I need any kind of adapter or anything.

you can latterly fit the stock GT maf inside the 90mm lightening maf , i know my Lightning Maf wasn't even close to fitting my vortech inlet pipe and i had to use two couplers on top of each others to seal it before power pipe.

Keep your stock maf. That supercharger is an Eaton m90. At max boost you may only get to 90% of the metering capability. It won't be a restriction because it is larger than the TB. If you get tuned and it somehow gets pegged on voltage, then its time to go bigger. If you have the computer with that kit it will be tuned for you stock maf.

Well I'll keep my out for a deal on the JLT then.

Any supercharged Stangs here have a before and after with a CAI or bigger TB?

I would check out kenne bell's website. They have some pretty good before and after tests for CAI and TBs on positive displacement blowers.

However, keep in mind that if they gain say 10 hp at a 450 rwhp level, you may only gain 1-2 hp at a 300 rwhp level.

It's all about flow rate (proportional to hp) and restriction. If its not a restriction at that hp level (flow rate), then it won't net you 1 hp.

Keep your stock maf. That supercharger is an Eaton m90. At max boost you may only get to 90% of the metering capability. It won't be a restriction because it is larger than the TB. If you get tuned and it somehow gets pegged on voltage, then its time to go bigger. If you have the computer with that kit it will be tuned for you stock maf.

No, I don't have the computer with the kit. I'm going to tune the stock one.

Well, 2 questions:

1. When will the stock MAF peg? I'm shooting for low 300's hp level.

2. Would the MAF be a restriction if I went to a larger CAI and 75 MM TB?

No, I don't have the computer with the kit. I'm going to tune the stock one.

Well, 2 questions:

1. When will the stock MAF peg? I'm shooting for low 300's hp level.

2. Would the MAF be a restriction if I went to a larger CAI and 75 MM TB?

it wont peg at low 300s , and no it wont be a restriction at 6-7 psi.

naw its an m112, I said the samething sometime ago, and was shown indeed it was an m112 and not a m90