CAI Questions

I have an MMR V-6 High Flow Intake Kit w/MMR High Flow Tube (not yet installed, waiting to put it on with new headers and exhaust). MMR claims that the intake does NOT require a reflash. However, a post on another website got me worried. Basically, the post said, "they claim no re-flash or "tune" is required, but don't bet on it as it has been tested on other threads/posts and it does create a "leaner Fuel/air ratio" which could lead to internal engine damage later on down the road. So don't be offended when your dealer laughs at you when you show him the paperwork that came with your add-ons that claim it "WON'T" void your factory warranty......buyers be ware!!!!"

If I get a XCalibrator 2 Flash Tool and a dyno tune, will that ensure that I will not have the damage that may be caused by a leaner fuel/air ratio? From reading other posts I can tell that there is a wealth of knowledge in this forum and I was hoping that one of you gurus could spread the wealth! Thank you!

• Sponsors (?)

A tune basically is going to fix any lag in the system, give you additional power, while maintaining a safe a/f ratio. All aftermarket cai's will increase the a/f ratio, whether or not its to an unsafe level is the question. a tune just makes sure you are going to be ok.

fazm83 said:
You can just get a boxed tune and be ok, they are on the safe side, a dyno tune will just be safe, with a little extra power, but yes i would say you need a tune with any intake.

I'm sorry to disagree with you on this one dude... I've got the MMR CAI... It does in fact cause the car to run leaner... which is where they get their HP gains... Basically the MMR causes the computer to think it is less air than it really is... hence the car is running lean... Lidio has to add a BUNCH more fuel to get my car straightened out for the MMR...

So... Excepcion13... I would pick up and X-Cal2 from Lidio at Alternative Auto (www.alternativeauto.com) He's can make the proper adjustments for you MMR CAI since we figured it all out with my car... LOL!!!

here is what my bud at ford told me. the confuser will not let the lean situation hurt your car it will compinsate for it. when it cant thats when the cel comes on. when i put my AFE no tune required CAi on it worked fine i took it to ford during the prototype phase and we hooked it up to their test equiptment and it was fine. when AFE was done i put my tune back in and it pinged like crap. because the tuner tweeked things and the computer was lost. i went in and had it retuned and he said it was lean. from a tuner stand point. because they remove alot of the factory safegaurds to tweek the car. does this help?

Heat Shield

Thank you all for your responses! I think I will get a tuner just on GP and get a dyno to see if anything comes out of the mods. I have another question, though. My MMR CAI does not come with a heat shield (which I see on a lot of other CAIs). Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of this? Should I go and buy a heat shield?

I'm sorry to disagree with you on this one dude... I've got the MMR CAI... It does in fact cause the car to run leaner... which is where they get their HP gains... Basically the MMR causes the computer to think it is less air than it really is... hence the car is running lean... Lidio has to add a BUNCH more fuel to get my car straightened out for the MMR...

you arent disagreeing with me, i said the car does need a tune :p I said it does not need a dyno tune, a boxed tune from the company you buy the intake from would be sufficient. :D so thanks for agreeing lol.

shooterm1 said:
I've been told that the same thing can be accomplished by just allowing the computer to re-calibrate itself (after a 20 min battery disconnection) :shrug:

yes you should unhook the bat anytime you do a major mod. it takes the confuser about 500 miles to find its happy medium. but if it cannot adjust it will go into ouch mode. i had the cel come on after 300 miles when i was prototyping the first AFE CAI after they changed the inlet tube it was fine. i put over 1500 miles on it befor i did the retune. i have said it many times that if i would not have already had the xcal2 i may have waited because the car ran great with just the CAI and stock tune. but now with the duals and the tune yeehaa! lots "o" fun!