California specific exhaust ok on non-Cali 5.0?

JustA5.0

May 12, 2007
Toronto, ON
Hey guys, buying a Magnaflow X-Pipe. I can order a #37338 X-Pipe (California spec) for $75 cheaper than the #93332 (49-State/Canada).

Need to ask this, because the VWs I've driven had specific ECM and fuel/emission systems in the 80s/90s for California cars.

Did the Cali Mustangs get specific O2 sensors or a different computer code, or anything else that could mess things up by installing the 37338 X-pipe on my non-Cali 5.0?

P.S. It's been converted to mass-air if that matters.

• Sponsors (?)

The only reason it is California specific is that it has four cats, instead of most other's two. If that's what you want, it will work fine, but will probably give up a couple of horsepower to a two-cat unit.

The only reason it is California specific is that it has four cats, instead of most other's two. If that's what you want, it will work fine, but will probably give up a couple of horsepower to a two-cat unit.
On Magnaflow's website the 93332 is shown as a 4-cat system, that's another reason of my initial confusion (why would they have two 4-cat SS X-Pipe systems, unless the Cali car was somehow different). We have smog cops here who do visual checks to see if you have the 4-cat midpipe, so kind of want the 4-cat to avoid potential hassle.

I'll send Magnaflow an email, I think.

The MagnaFlow 93332 only has 2 cats, I know because I bought that system in 04 when it came out.
At that time the 93332 with 2 cats and X pipe also came with the EO# D-193-14/8-7-96 so that you could pass emission testing in Calif and was acceptable for use in Calif until 2009.

Calif changed it's law and said that if the OE system came with 4 cats you needed 4 cats to pass the emissions, so as of 2009 the 93332 was no longer approved for use in Calif and that's when MagnaFlow then went to the 37338 with the 4 cats.
If you have to meet the California Emissions Standards then you'll need to buy the MagnaFlow 37338 with the 4 cats otherwise you can go with the 93332 if you want.

MagnaFlow Exhaust - Catalytic Converters

View attachment 187209

View attachment 187210

The MagnaFlow 93332 only has 2 cats, I know because I bought that system in 04 when it came out.

The 93332 has changed since you bought yours. It now has 4 cats and a retail price of over $1,500. :eek:

93332.jpg

MagnaFlow Catalytic Converters - 49-STATE & CANADA Catalytic Converters For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

So got this response from Magnaflow. Maryland Stang is correct about the cats.

Hello
Magnaflow part 93332 used to only contain two converter but has since been redesign to have four. Thank you for contacting Magnaflow.
image001.jpg

It's $499 at Summit, I'm sure the picture is simply the old one there, and they would be sending the redesigned version.

To sum up, I take it the foxes when originally sold in California didn't have any revisions from the factory?