Calling all paint and body guys, help! (Matt and Jesse?)

1991notchbackLX

Dec 25, 2007
New York
Hey guys, the parts I'm trying to paint/bodywork aren't for a fox, but I'm hoping the mods will let this one live anyway. I'm posting here because I know the 5.0 guys much better than the 4.6 crew, and I've seen killer paint work in progress threads here.

I scored a set of '04 Cobra side skirts for my 1999 GT with mods in sig. I got them for $100 in fairly good condition and they're already the same color silver as my car! The problem is they have some deep scratches from being in storage and at least one gouge. I have NO IDEA where to even begin with bodyworking/repainting these. I do have a quart of paint code YN paint that was given to me with the car. I guess we can start at what grit sandpaper to use and go from there? Thanks so much guys. :nice:

Cliff's notes: I have no idea how to paint/bodywork a set of '04 Cobra side skirts.

• Sponsors (?)

i generally suck at body work, and might be way off on this but i would think with a metallic paint like that, you'd be best off painting the entire side skirt instead of repainting the bad spots? also is it paint that matches your car or is it left over paint that was ACTUALLY used on your car. i interned at a body shop for 10 weeks and i know that silver never seems to match perfectly.

i generally suck at body work, and might be way off on this but i would think with a metallic paint like that, you'd be best off painting the entire side skirt instead of repainting the bad spots? also is it paint that matches your car or is it left over paint that was ACTUALLY used on your car. i interned at a body shop for 10 weeks and i know that silver never seems to match perfectly.

The paint I have was used on the Cobra R hood that's on my car now. It isn't EXACTLY right, but it's pretty damn close. :shrug:

I think you'll be alright then. Id just completely fill/respray the side skirts.
did you decide if you're going to go with termi bumpers?

Yeah, I think that's what I'm gonna do. These are way too rough to run as is. I'm still deciding on termi bumpers, but I just picked up a Mach 1 chin spoiler for $20 so I think I may just run the GT front bumper. :D

Yeah, I think that's what I'm gonna do. These are way too rough to run as is. I'm still deciding on termi bumpers, but I just picked up a Mach 1 chin spoiler for $20 so I think I may just run the GT front bumper. :D

this is just my opinion, but i think keeping the GT bumpers is a good idea. itll look sick with the side skirts and mach 1 chin spoiler and it kind of keeps the sleeper cobra thing going for you.

i love the termi bumpers though so you cant really go wrong either way

first off, it'd be a lot easier if you get a DA sander.

if you want to take them all the way down and spray the whole thing, use 80 to get the paint all the way off. after that, smooth it out with 320 and spray your primer. smooth your primer with 600 or finer, you can get sanding scratches with anything less. then spray your base and clear. wet sand with 1000 and then finish it off 2000. put a buffer to them with a good rubbing compound and polish and it'll come out like glass.

first off, it'd be a lot easier if you get a DA sander.

if you want to take them all the way down and spray the whole thing, use 80 to get the paint all the way off. after that, smooth it out with 320 and spray your primer. smooth your primer with 600 or finer, you can get sanding scratches with anything less. then spray your base and clear. wet sand with 1000 and then finish it off 2000. put a buffer to them with a good rubbing compound and polish and it'll come out like glass.

Thanks for the info! How do I fill in the deep scratches and the gouge? I don't even have a gun to shoot these with, or a dual action sander. I'm starting to think this might be a bit over my head. :(

It all depends how deep the scratches and gouges are. Real deep, try 80 grit, no so deep try 150. I'd start higher actually and see how easily they come out. If 150, doesn't work, step to 80. If 150 gets them out, then move to 320. 320 the entire skirt. I would then prime them, sand again with 400. I say 400, because metallic paint likes to sink into deep scratches and then all the metallic is in the scratches. I'd go 400, then spray the silver you have and then clear them. Usually, urethane parts come up much better than metal, so no need for wetsanding, plus they are low on the car, so you don't need to wetsand them anyways.

I just repaired the front splitter for the 82 GT were painting at my shop and the whole bottom was all scratched up and gouged. I just took some 80 grit and sanded them out as much as possible and then loaded the Dupont 2K primer with the flex agent we use on (like 6 heavy coats) to fill in the remainder of the scratches, we then wet sanded the primer and there was still come small divits in the primer so we use Kombi, a 1 k body filler to fill in pinholes and then wet sanded that til it was smooth. I wish I took some before and after pictures. the splitter looks brand new now. I didn't want to use any fillers or plastic repair stuff cause I have never had any luck with it adhereing to the plastic or feathering into it and almost always ended up cracking back out. Hell if anything, ship them to me and I'll fix em and paint them for ya!!

Thanks for the advice guys! I knew I could count on Matt and Jesse to come through with some expertise! I'm going to try and find some auto paint supply places close to my house, and go from there.

And, just for the hell of it, Jesse you have a PM. :nice: