Cam Change, but Noticed Problems with Bearings

fasttback

Apr 16, 2005
Northern CA
Just stepped out of the garage to ask for suggestions about some cam bearing problems I encountered while changing the cam.

It looks like cam bearings 1 and 4 are cracked and nicked in a couple of spots. I believed I added the nicks, but not the cracks. Removing the old cam was stubborn and it did lie on the cam bearings as it broke free…that’s where I think it got nicked. Anyways, the cam bearings need to be replaced. The bad news it the block is still in the car with the rest of the bottom end complete. I did not anticipate pulling the block and dismantling the bottom end. I have replaced cam bearings before, but the block was out of the car with the crank out. Am I f***ed, or is there some miracle way to replace the cam bearings without pulling the crank and motor?

cambearing.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Yea, I figured as much. After waiting a few hours I've accepted my car will be out of commission for an extra 2-3 weeks? Of course once I pull it, I will do more than just a cam change...with a lot more money dumped into it. :doh:

md

Yea, I figured as much. After waiting a few hours I've accepted my car will be out of commission for an extra 2-3 weeks? Of course once I pull it, I will do more than just a cam change...with a lot more money dumped into it. :doh:

md
thats how it always it. I usually pull mine out durring winter and "clean it up" which ends up costing me a few thousand dollars:notnice:

Latest idea: I've just decided to put the 352 in the '66 (since the motor is out already) as a temporary fix. I will work on the 289 at my own pace...no rush.

The 352 should make that little fastback move, it been upgraded with a new roller cam from Camshaft Innovations and new Canfield 195 port matched heads. It should be fun to break-in that motor during the middle of winter! :nice: The only problem the exhaust is a little small for the set up (full length 2.25" w/ generic turbo mufflers).