Cam Decision

streetdemon70

Apr 4, 2005
I am in the process of putting a motor together for my 70 stang and was wondering if I could get some help choosing a cam. It is a 1970 302 with fresh rebuild that will be going in the car. It is a stock rebuild that i will be using with stock heads that have been ported. I am wanting to get all the power i can with out sacrificing drive ability. Dont know if it helps anything or not but the tranny will be a c4 with 3.73 gears in the rearend. I want to stay flat tappet also. LMK if you need any more info.
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

first decide what rpm range you plan to operate the engine in on a regular basis. then look at the parts you plan on using, and use a cam that compliments the rpm range of those components. for example, if you are using a performer intake, and small tube headers, then you want a cam that will work in the off idle to 4000 rpm range. you can stretch this some by selecting a cam that works say from 1500-5000 rpm. going much larger than that will impinge on drivability. for your application i recommend the comp cams high energy 260 grind, but you can go to the 268 high energy grind with no loss of drivability, but you will have a lumpier idle.