Cam dowel short or long?

83Mustang427TT

Jan 18, 2006
Does this cam dowel look right ?or do I need the long one Im getting rid of the fuel pump eccentric which only has a small tab on it and doesnt touch the dowel at all .I dont see how it could hold the dowel in there it would do the same thing as the washer on the cam bolt if it slid out it would hit the washer or the eccentric tab and still allow the sprocket to spin right? :shrug: also does that really look like ford engine red? its dupli-color ceramic engine enamel looks like chevy orange to me:bang:

Attachments

• 100_0054.jpg
    100_0054.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 117
  • Sponsors (?)

donsbad68 said:
Long dowel, use the "eccentric", it's your chain-oil slinger I think.

if that where true then the 87 and up engines would still have one right? but I dont think they do. Would ford sell the long dowel? the autopart stores around here are incompetent morons(advance autoparts) cough* ahem cough* and probably wouldnt know what im talkin about.

I took a bolt and cut it to just use the non threaded shoulder part it is the same size as the hole in the cam sprocket and I cut it to take up the space in the hole and fit flush with the front face of the sprocket just to hold the dowel pin in..good idea right ? will it work? I really dont wanna fudge this engine up I've got almost $900 in machine work alone :bang:

well like I said I cut of the portion of a grade 8 bolt (the shoulder part) and slid it in there in front of the dowel pin ,it was very snug so im assuming it will do the job of holding the pin in tight right?