cam for 351w

88stanggonebad

Sep 25, 2004
Hey guys, how would this cam work in a 351W with 10.1 compression, stock heads, a weiand steakth manifold, longtube headers and a stock torque converter followed by a rebuilt c4..... how would it sound and and is this cam usable on the street.

Cam Style: Hydraulic flat tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,800-5,800
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 224
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 224
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 224 int./224 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 270
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 270
Advertised Duration: 270 int./270 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.500 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.500 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.500 int./0.500 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees): 110
Intake Valve Lash: 0.000 in.
Exhaust Valve Lash: 0.000 in.
Computer Controlled Compatible: No
Grind Number: FW 270H-10

• Sponsors (?)

nice cam. it should have a decent idle, as well as good drivability, though the engine will be a tad cold blooded, especially at low speed. use a good ignition like the msd 6A and you will minimize the problem.

that means that when the engine is cold, it will have a tendency to stumble a bit until the combustion chambers get some heat into them. the idle quality cold will also be less then shall we say, stellar?

mostly because of the narrow 110 LSA. i have a very similar cam with 224/236 duration @.050 and .472/.496 lift but it has a 114 degree LSA so it has a decent idle and even it is still a little cold blooded but once it get's warmed up it runs great and idles fine in gear even, it could probably use a mild stall convertor to help the in gear idle though.

so your's will be a little more finicky and i would suggest a mild stall convertor (2400 or so) if you don't already have one but it's not absolutely necessary

if that is the comp cams 270h it is about as big as you can go with what you have, but if you have stock heads and rockers go with the comp cams 268h, much easier on the valvetrain, better idle and will still make good power, I wouldnt use that 500 lift cam with stock heads, your valvesprings would probably bind.