cam for my 351w

sn-95matt5-0

Nov 6, 2006
i'm debating using the cam i got for the sake of saving money.

COMP Cams CL35-522-8 - COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Cam and Lifter Kits

i bought this off a member on this board that i trust but he bought it off someone else so is there anything i need to worry about using a used cam?...any precautions i need to take?after i bought it the local guys (most use flat tappet or normal cams as they call it)told me never to use a used cam.

also about the specs themselves would it be too much to use on a 351w with the stuff i have in my sig on it?i'm cam illiterate so if there is anything i can read to learn more about cam specs i would love a link.

and i will go with a custom cam one day because i'm planning on putting some boost on this motor one day.

• Sponsors (?)

All i know is hydraulic rollers...and people buy those used all the time. They dont go through as much wear and tear as flat tappet cams i think.

If it looks good...i'd use it. As for it working for your combo, i have no idea.

Used Hyd roller cams are fine, nothing like flat tappet cams that I would never buy used.

This is def a healthy cam in a 351.....I would run it! Just depends what you are looking for. There are alot of threads going on now where guys don't like the more radical idle etc. If you want a really smooth idle I would go with a smaller cam.

Here a mag test on a 347 with this cam,
High-Lift Rocker Arms - Comp Cams - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

Here is Comp Cams Free download software... I just found this and have not used it yet.

CamQuest 6 -FREE Download from COMP Cams

IMO that cam has way to much duration for a supercharged 351. a stock balanced 351 cant spin to the moon and be safe. and with a SC you wont need to spin it high to make power. and with the specs that cam has you are gonna have to. its gonna come on like a 2 stroke about 3 grand. not gonna be very street friendly. if it was an all out race car where you could push it hard for short peroids of time and not worry about heat i would say go for it.

ah i'm only 20 and this is my toy. so kinda mean and nasty wouldnt be to bad at all. this car is mostly for the track but when i have time to fix my window motor problems it will also see alot off cruise time(no air). but in no way do i ever want this car to be a DD. my 92 f150 is here to take that kinda abuse

i bought one of those cams originally for my combo because there is a dude over on hardcore (by the name of eric fischer) who has a 400+ CI engine with out of the box heads and intake, that cam, and a 4R70W in his fox, and he runs mid 10s all day in it. it's hard to complain about that.

3 guys in this thread talk about it:
Need advise on 408 Roller cam selection - Hardcore 5.0 - The Mustang Drag Racers Forum

but that was after i had already gotten my engine built and installed i didn't want to take on the expense of having the cam replaced, so i sold it to a member on this board :cheers:

i have heard and read only good things about that cam, but it is definately a cam for NA applications. if you are going SC, then it is probably not the cam for you, unless you are going to be NA for a while before installing the SC and you don't mind swapping cams.

I think you should run it. :nice:

On page 3 of the link in my earlier post when they had this in a 347 it made peak HP at 6300rpm and made 400ft lbs of torque at 3000rpm which was the start of the pull...the torque was pretty flat and looked good!

As for too much duration for a S/C....I have a 408 with a cam with 15deg more duration and a S/C it works great!

ah i'm only 20 and this is my toy. so kinda mean and nasty wouldnt be to bad at all. this car is mostly for the track but when i have time to fix my window motor problems it will also see alot off cruise time(no air). but in no way do i ever want this car to be a DD. my 92 f150 is here to take that kinda abuse

Ha Ha :rlaugh:

I love this post :spot:

Hey Matt :D

You need to experience what it is like to have a bad boy sounding lope
goin on every time you pull up at a stop light

or

You try to go through a local joint and pull up to get a burger
and some fries :nice:

I promise you ... You will draw a crowd :)

Then again ...
When sitting at a stop light and the man pulls up next to ya :eek:

Your car becomes burned into his memory :rlaugh:
and
He will for ever be lookin closely at your Stang every time he sees it :bang:

You'll have a bit of fun
then
You'll grow tired of something that radical

Thats the GREAT thing about not hot rodding your dd
You don't have to deal with that stuff ... all the time ;)

HEY ... Changin a cam ain't really all that hard :D

Grady

Ha Ha :rlaugh:

I love this post :spot:

Hey Matt :D

You need to experience what it is like to have a bad boy sounding lope
goin on every time you pull up at a stop light

or

You try to go through a local joint and pull up to get a burger
and some fries :nice:

I promise you ... You will draw a crowd :)

Then again ...
When sitting at a stop light and the man pulls up next to ya :eek:

Your car becomes burned into his memory :rlaugh:
and
He will for ever be lookin closely at your Stang every time he sees it :bang:

You'll have a bit of fun
then
You'll grow tired of something that radical

Thats the GREAT thing about not hot rodding your dd
You don't have to deal with that stuff ... all the time ;)

HEY ... Changin a cam ain't really all that hard :D

Grady

Grady, I see what you are saying but since it's not his daily driver if he's anything like me he will NEVER EVER grow tired of something like this!

I got my first Mustang a 67 fastback that I still own 30 years ago......and I have never grown tired of having a car that has a nice lope to it.

I own 8 vehicles right now so I do have daily drivers....but going back to when I could only afford 1 car if I was in that situation right now it would have a healthy cam in it!!:nice:

I'm not sure if it's the whole import thing or not but I never really hear them with cams....just big retarded sounding exhaust. When I was growing up every hot car had a cam in it. I remember listening to all the muscle cars with them....it was also one of the first things you did to a car. There wasn't the big tuning issue like today....just throw on an aftermarket intake and carb.
So I don't know if this plus the whole getting the tuning right has made it so people don't want to go through the hassle of running a big cam. But for me it will always be worth it!!:D

Like the old saying " If it's too loud, your too old":p The same applies for a big cam for me.

Tom

Grady, I see what you are saying but since it's not his daily driver if he's anything like me he will NEVER EVER grow tired of something like this!

...through the hassle of running a big cam. But for me it will always be worth it!!:D

Like the old saying " If it's too loud, your too old":p The same applies for a big cam for me.

Tom

HA , I did. Maybe mine is too nuts. :shrug: It's rocking and rolling at a stop light and drives me batty. I just got tired of being tossed around in the cockpit like a rag doll during bucking sessions and then sounding like its going to jiggle apart and shut off at stop lights. Sure I like that sound but I'm toning mine down man. Then b4 Rick put in my evac kit, peeps kept tapping on my window a lights trying to tell me I had an anti-freeze leak b/c serious clouds of smoke were billowing out of my hood into other drivers cars and stinking them out. I ended up looking like some dude whos car was ready to break down. Dont get me wrong, some peeps were like WOW and others must have been like, whats wrong with that guys car. :jaw:

If u wanna know what it feels like, have your passenger grab u and jiggle you in several directions at every stop light until you step on the gas and then push u back and forth in your seat in rapid succession while trying to drive easy, who likes that? You get out of the car with a headache and wanting to CLOCK somebody.

HA , I did. Maybe mine is too nuts. :shrug: It's rocking and rolling at a stop light and drives me batty. I just got tired of being tossed around in the cockpit like a rag doll during bucking sessions and then sounding like its going to jiggle apart and shut off at stop lights. Sure I like that sound but I'm toning mine down man. Then b4 Rick put in my evac kit, peeps kept tapping on my window a lights trying to tell me I had an anti-freeze leak b/c serious clouds of smoke were billowing out of my hood into other drivers cars and stinking them out. I ended up looking like some dude whos car was ready to break down. Dont get me wrong, some peeps were like WOW and others must have been like, whats wrong with that guys car. :jaw:

If u wanna know what it feels like, have your passenger grab u and jiggle you in several directions at every stop light until you step on the gas and then push u back and forth in your seat in rapid succession while trying to drive easy, who likes that? You get out of the car with a headache and wanting to CLOCK somebody.

The cam he is going to run is much less duration so it won't be the same.

When I first got mine running with a different cam which is very close to what you have the whole car would shake also. Once I got it tuned it was very different.

It still shakes a little now because I have 245/254 deg duration but it's not bad. The tune made all the difference.

If my cars ran how you describe it would drive me crazy also!