Cam Install Started...

Three50won

10 Year Member
Jul 11, 2010
I have been meaning to start my cam install a few days ago but with work and life I just couldn't get it underway. I was planning to put it off for another few days but this morning I just decided to up and just do it. So at 615 am I went out and got started. I called it a day at about 1030 am...gotta get some things done for the day. Thus far I got both valve covers off, the timing cover off, and the crank keyway is set at 12 o'clock. If I have time later today or this evening or tonight then I'll go back out and pull the stock cams off. That way I can start fresh with putting the new ones in tomorrow morning. If all goes well I should be up and running by tomorrow night or Sunday afternoon. Here are some specs on my car...

03 Mustang GT convertible automatic. 4.10 gears. Built trans with upgraded internals. Transgo Transpak. 2400 rpm stall converter. Stock PI bottom end. Patriot Performance stage 2 heads. Stock cams (for now). Stock exhaust manifolds. UPR HF catted X-Pipe. Cherry Bomb cat-back. PP intake manifold/upper plenum/75mm TB. Vortech V2 S-Trim supercharger non-intercooled with 3.33 pulley (approx 12psi boost). Steeda power pipe. 60# injectors. Sniper Bazooka MAF...also have a SCT BA 2400 MAF.

The cam going in is a custom grind from Comp Cams. Specs are 234/234 @ 050. 545/545 lift. 115 lsa.
See pics below!!

This is how I started off...
20151106_060454.jpg

This is where I left off for the day.
20151106_103457.jpg

And these are the cams that will be going in...
20151026_180503.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

So I got back out there and took the old cams out...

20151106_141654.jpg

Got the new cams in but the sprocket retaining bolt I have is too small. Gotta hit up the dealership real quick to see if they have the larger size bolts. If not then this will be on hold until Monday...

20151106_150406.jpg

Got the bolts. So if anyone is ever going from stock cams to Comp Cams, just keep in mind that Comp uses the 12mm cam sprocket bolt. So if you have a PI engine or a 99 and up DOHC engine, then you will have to get NPI or 93-98 DOHC sprocket bolts.

So here is where I'm at. Cams are in, cam cages are on but not torqued. Cam sprockets/bolts are on but not torqued. Tomorrow I will button everything up.

20151106_172448[1].jpg

Good work man. Get a vid when you get her running again.
Thanks, will do!!

I'm planning to do cams after my pi swap. From the pics it doesn't look that hard. Or is it?

sent while thinking of mods for my 4.6s using tapatalk
I don't know how to answer that really, lol!! It isn't difficult for me at all because I've done it a few times so I'm used to it. But it is a lot of work and it takes a good amount of time. Setting the timing is tricky. What I would recommend before you try it on your car is to get a cheap engine stand, then get a cheap engine with high miles or one that is seized or blown or something and practice on that. Do it as if it were your engine in your car. There are a lot of sources online that'll help you. And I will help you out along the way too.

But just remember, a PI swap on a NPI bottom end is gonna give you extra compression. So you won't be able to go too aggressive with your cam choice if you keep the stock valve springs.

Reactions: 1 user
Got held up by this here. A valve cover bolt broke off in the cylinder head. So I gotta get it out before I can go further. Hopefully Home Depot or Auto Zone has a bolt extractor I can use. I already tried vice grips and channel locks with no luck.

20151107_222929.jpg

Despite that I still made good progress. I got everything bolted back on. Once I get the broken bolt out I can get the valve cover and power steering reservoir back on, tune it, and fire it up!! Stay tuned!!

20151107_223546.jpg

Ok so she is up and running. I extracted the broken bolt by hammering a 5mm socket on it and using a ratchet to get it off. Got everything put back together and fired her up! She started right up! Now I just gotta go tighten things up and tidy her up a bit!! I recorded the first start so I'll upload that video in a bit!!

20151108_135413.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Very nice man!!!!! That's a tough job to tackle and very time consuming. I put my comp 234/230 550/500 111 LSA NA cams in a few years ago and had a great time doing it! Enjoy!