Cam question regarding a possible blower install

Ok guys, I am thinking of installing a Vortech A-Trim. I think I can get a used one from a decent guy from this forum :D

My question is regarding my cam that I currently have. For any one with some real experience with blowers, I'd like your opinion.

I am running the Ford Racing X-303 cam. I have forged Keith Black pistons, edelbrock performer rpms, eagle h-beam rods, 1.7 rockers, Pro M 75mm MAF, 70mm TB, 30 # injectors, 255 lph holley fuel pump.

My compression is 9.5:1

I want to run approx 8 psi of boost. Nothing major, rather conservative.

Will I have to change my cam or can I still us the X-303?

I think I will have to go to 42# injectors and increase the size of the MAF, then get it tuned, but does anyone else see any real problems with the combo I have?

I don't care if it is the fastest car out there, I'd just like it to run smoothly.

• Sponsors (?)

My suggestion would be to drop your initial boost to roughly 6 psi. Tune the combo with what you've currently got including the 30 lbers with addition of an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

I probably don't have to tell you that when I say Tune then I mean TUNE with either a wideband or a dyno.

That will at least answer your question about the x-cam without having to spend a mint on stuff that you may end up replacing later.

Word of mouth is that the X is not the most desirable blower cam but that it WILL work and you will see a significant gain with a blower.

Daggar said:
My suggestion would be to drop your initial boost to roughly 6 psi. Tune the combo with what you've currently got including the 30 lbers with addition of an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

I probably don't have to tell you that when I say Tune then I mean TUNE with either a wideband or a dyno.

That will at least answer your question about the x-cam without having to spend a mint on stuff that you may end up replacing later.

Word of mouth is that the X is not the most desirable blower cam but that it WILL work and you will see a significant gain with a blower.

I already have an adjustable FPR. From what I hear, the X should be ok to run with a small blower. Like I said earlier, I am not looking to make crazy horsepower with this blower. Just a little extra. I know the A-Trim will not give me a high amount of boost, but I only want 6-8 psi.

I plan on brining it to be tuned before I even start it with the blower. I will trailer the car there.