cam swap in 02 ss done

broken_joke

Nov 24, 2004
carriere, ms
me and pops just finished the cam swap in the ss! man was this an undertaking! i have never been cut up or scraped up this bad from working on a car! we changed the valve springs also (we left the heads on). that was a huge pita! we ended breaking to bolts off in the head but were amazingly lucky in removing them! i am just glad that it's over with. got a few things to button up and then a break in for the springs. when it is all said and done pops should be at 400 at the wheels according to thunder racing!

• Sponsors (?)

the more tool is pure crap! to compress the springs takes huge efforts and then trying to put the locks in is just to much! we used the crowbar style valve spring compresser and cut it after the bend. it worked well but broke bolts! the cam is a thunder racing 224/224 563/563 and comp 918 beehive or conicals. we installed pacesetter headers and full exhaust earlier this year.
just came back from a test drive it seems to rev much better and has a cool lope. can't break past 4000 for spring break in yet but still seems strong!

i actually got an xfi comp cam(smaller one) 236/248 579/579 and i am dying to install it. i am concerned about the piston to valve clearance though. i was going to call comp about that. the guy that built the motor says he is 99.99% sure it would be ok, but he also said he would check it?

full valve reliefs is all the builder will tell me about them. i don't know the brand? i really don't want to buy some more head gaskets, but i just might to be on the safe side?

tomorrow dad will be doing some wot runs to see what she's got!