cam swap on a 4.6l 2v 2002 gt

rrl

Aug 29, 2003
i'm thinking of comp cams or vt mild street cams and am wondering if new cam bearings need to be installed and has anyone used the chain retention tool from anderson ford?i want to retain the stock valve springs though.thoughts on this anyone?

• Sponsors (?)

lvmustanggt said:
what is the rwhp with cam alone ? I am ready to get cam but wanted to know how much rwhp I can get with cam.
As of now I have 265.70 RWHP, so what can I see my rwhp with cam ?

Thanks
Man, those are badass numbers. I should quote them for another thread where the guys say i wont hit 300rwhp with about the same mods you have right now plus Longtubes and Cams. Cams can get you to 290rwhp alone and LT's will def. push you over the 300rwhp mark. Ha! There's hope for my GT :nice:

HoustonGT said:
Man, those are badass numbers. I should quote them for another thread where the guys say i wont hit 300rwhp with about the same mods you have right now plus Longtubes and Cams. Cams can get you to 290rwhp alone and LT's will def. push you over the 300rwhp mark. Ha! There's hope for my GT :nice:

yeah L/T will really help you get over the 300 mark if you are close and have not yet installed them

lvmustanggt said:
I am thinking about stage 2 cam and valve springs cause I like the sound of state 2 rumble. I have plane to supercharg my stang in this year :)
Go ahead and get the blower cams since you'll be getting blown in the future. They're optimal for a supercharge but can also be used on a N/A car

I strongly suggest that you take your time and degree your cams in. You will get the best results with this method. That short-cut method( using Anderson tool ) can cause problems. One of the problems that can arise is that the Cam gears might skip a tooth which could cause you to have Piston to Valve( PTV ) contact. Also the stock Cam gears have a wide tolerance and if yours are out, you could run into PTV as well.

lvmustanggt said:
what is the rwhp with cam alone ? I am ready to get cam but wanted to know how much rwhp I can get with cam.
As of now I have 265.70 RWHP, so what can I see my rwhp with cam ?

Thanks

nice numbers!! I put down 259rwhp with the same mods, minus the tuner.. My a/f was all over the place, they said it was costing me a few hp

I'm about to order VT Stage 2's and Manley valvesprings (probably next friday) and I'm hoping to be around 285rwhp after the tune, but i'm not quite sure.

Anyone got a guess as to how much i'd put out with VT Stage 2's and a tune?

TGJ said:
I strongly suggest that you take your time and degree your cams in. You will get the best results with this method. That short-cut method( using Anderson tool ) can cause problems. One of the problems that can arise is that the Cam gears might skip a tooth which could cause you to have Piston to Valve( PTV ) contact. Also the stock Cam gears have a wide tolerance and if yours are out, you could run into PTV as well.

yeah you can do it that way which is the most secure way but i just mark everything and align all the marks and have yet to see a problem with PTV clearance form the ones i have done and that is including doing it when i use to work for mercedes benz and they have 2V/3V/and 4V motors too

jasonh_86 said:
nice numbers!! I put down 259rwhp with the same mods, minus the tuner.. My a/f was all over the place, they said it was costing me a few hp

I'm about to order VT Stage 2's and Manley valvesprings (probably next friday) and I'm hoping to be around 285rwhp after the tune, but i'm not quite sure.

Anyone got a guess as to how much i'd put out with VT Stage 2's and a tune?

i'd say about 285-295HP with a real good tune

Ty all for your kind words about my car and I am looking at supercharge cam form comp cam cause getting blown is around the corner. I really love turbo cause of BOV but freaking expensive so I will have to settel with supercharger