PakstinN

Jul 17, 2014
Hello All,

Recently, I rebuilt my 306 and topped it off with a set of tfs 11r 190's (56cc), and a lightly ported rpmii. I have a custom grind cam from ed curtis spec'd for another build of mine (ported gt40P's/explorer setup) .555/.558 224/220 @.050 111* LSA, and my question is should I be spending the $350 on another custom grind cam? will I feel enough of a gain with a new cam to justify the cost? The engine runs very well but I feel it may have more in it. car has 1-5/8 LT's, 2-1/2 offroad H, flowmasters, 24lb injectors (probably too small), pro m maf, 80 mm accufab tb....any advice is much appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

Hello All,

Recently, I rebuilt my 306 and topped it off with a set of tfs 11r 190's (56cc), and a lightly ported rpmii. I have a custom grind cam from ed curtis spec'd for another build of mine (ported gt40P's/explorer setup) .555/.558 224/220 @.050 111* LSA, and my question is should I be spending the $350 on another custom grind cam? will I feel enough of a gain with a new cam to justify the cost? The engine runs very well but I feel it may have more in it. car has 1-5/8 LT's, 2-1/2 offroad H, flowmasters, 24lb injectors (probably too small), pro m maf, 80 mm accufab tb....any advice is much appreciated!

See if the mods can move this to talk, you'll get more traction over there. The 11r 190s are a whole different animal than an iron GT40, so I doubt your using them to their full potential with that cam. Do you have any dyno numbers for that combo?

Your injectors are fine for that combo . Headers are small in my opinion but will work fine . 1 3/4 would free up some power . There is probably some room to take advantage of a new cam too the question becomes is the 15 hp or so worth the money Time and effort

Yes, get another cam. The whole point of a custom cam is for optimization. Cams are cheap in the long run, and if that cam is for another build, you are leaving power on the table.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
See if the mods can move this to talk, you'll get more traction over there. The 11r 190s are a whole different animal than an iron GT40, so I doubt your using them to their full potential with that cam. Do you have any dyno numbers for that combo?
i never had any dyno nymbers but the car did run a 14.2@98 with severely worn out street tires and garbage suspension.

i never had any dyno nymbers but the car did run a 14.2@98 with severely worn out street tires and garbage suspension.
God , not to be an ass but something sounds wrong with the original combo or you need the driver mod. I went 14.3 at 98 at 3300 lbs with a bone stock engine , Gt40 upper lower and 3.55s with full exhaust. Also 30 lbs of stereo in the trunk.

Maybe his track is in the Rockies? In all seriousness though even if you had a bad 60ft and spun 1st the trap speed is indicative of something being wrong with that combo

Usually the 11r stuff favors a split profile favoring the exhaust. It would probably still make a lot more power than you had with the gt40s though.

Reactions: 1 users
God , not to be an ass but something sounds wrong with the original combo or you need the driver mod. I went 14.3 at 98 at 3300 lbs with a bone stock engine , Gt40 upper lower and 3.55s with full exhaust. Also 30 lbs of stereo in the trunk.

There was a guy I knew in high school that ran a 13.2 with a bone stock 92' Mustang. It was kind of an odd deal.

Kurt

Some were freaks man

It wasn't a freak, this dude was methodical. He got a government special order form from the dealer, and line itemed it. The dude selected a 3:73:1 gear ratio and deleted the radio. Not the casette tape delete, "the radio." The car was delivered at around 2750lbs. This was before Ford offered the "body in white" option.

Kurt

It wasn't a freak, this dude was methodical. He got a government special order form from the dealer, and line itemed it. The dude selected a 3:73:1 gear ratio and deleted the radio. Not the casette tape delete, "the radio." The car was delivered at around 2750lbs. This was before Ford offered the "body in white" option.

Kurt
Yeah you were able to order them
No ac , no radio , no power anything . Pretty cool

there was definitely a problem with my combo when I got that time slip (burned 1qt/100mi) thats what caused the rebuild initially. I probably also need the driver mod, ive only been to the track a handful of times and haven't ever owned a "sticky" set of tires...but i shave time off every time I go! I think my best 60' was a 2.1. I just didn't want to spend the money on a custom cam if i am only chasing 2-5 hp. but if there was 15+ hp on the table i feel it would be worth the cost. I actually was just offered a killer deal on a forged 331 bottom end so I may delay putting a new cam in until i have the added displacement. (at the time I posted this, I didn't know I would maybe be adding 25 inches to my motor)

Last edited:
Don’t be so fixed on that peak number. Think average HP and TQ, the stuff under the curve. A custom grind built for your combo will idle like you want it to, drive like you want it to, and should make more average HP, and as a result a higher peak. Oh and don’t even think about running that cam with the 331, unless you like disappointment.

Don’t be so fixed on that peak number. Think average HP and TQ, the stuff under the curve. A custom grind built for your combo will idle like you want it to, drive like you want it to, and should make more average HP, and as a result a higher peak. Oh and don’t even think about running that cam with the 331, unless you like disappointment.
lol I do not like disappointment. And im sure custom cam specs for a 306 and 331(even with the same top end) would look much different.