cam timing? (stock)

Mr. Rustypwnz

Advanced Member
Jun 1, 2005
indianapolis/ valdosta ga
Ok so I has me some ported gt40's im gonna put on this week, and I am gonna reuse the stock cam because its a aod, so Its a t-moss ported intake, ported gt40p's and this cam, i know it will run strong with the stock cam, I just need to degree it in a little, so Im wanting to know which is better, advancing it or retarding it? T-moss has his advanced +4 and 25th has his like -4 and thay both run strong, but im looking for the most hp.

any help would be appreciated!!

josh

• Sponsors (?)

depends. all it means is where in the rpms the power is made or if they have it degreed to correct valve opening/closing.

advancing the cam moves the power towards the lower end, or away from the redline, making hp at a lower rpm. retarding the opposite and brings the range higher in the rpms.

advancing a cam 4degrees can move the power band down 200rpm, which helps low end lag. I would want to build my hp lower in rpm range with minor bolt ons, but it depends on what you want the motor to do and when you need the power to come on.

that said, you are also confused about degreeing a cam and advancing/retarding a cam. degreeing a cam ensures the cams factory specs and valve opeing/closeing are accurate. during manufacturing of the cams some of the tolerances or lost even though they are in spec, but other factors that effect the cam timing are the tolerances of the crank, timing chain, sprockets, etc. so when you align the timing marks for TDC on #1 those marks may be off by 2 degrees.

lets say you degree the cam, you advanced it 2 degrees to get to true TDC and get the camn into spec. then move it 4 degrees advanced for power gain. it's not advanced 6 degrees. 2 degrees where used to correct the cam. the 2 degrees advanced is now the baseline or true TDC. so it's only advanced 4 degrees.

For an automatic equipped car with a stock converter and limited high RPM capability, I would advance the cam. Advanced = more bottom end. Retarded = more top end.

Since even ported the stock head/intake castings as well as the stock cam profile is limited in horsepower and torque making capability, I'd use it where you're going to notice it the most.

For an automatic equipped car with a stock converter and limited high RPM capability, I would advance the cam. Advanced = more bottom end. Retarded = more top end.

Since even ported the stock head/intake castings as well as the stock cam profile is limited in horsepower and torque making capability, I'd use it where you're going to notice it the most.

yeah I know I was just wanting to know if anybody had a dyno graph...

yeah I know I was just wanting to know if anybody had a dyno graph...

Then you should have asked that question. ;)

Either way, you're not likely to find someone who did nothing more between dyno runs than advance or retard the stock cam between pulls. It's a huge waste of time and money for your average user. I'm not saying you won't find someone who dyno'd their car after playing with the cam timing, but at very least, most will ad heads, intake and exhaut bolt ons and/or other mods as well to make it worth the effort. Especially considering the cost of dyno time.