Cams Cams Cams

OrangeCoyote

Dec 27, 2008
Whaats up, Im talking to a retailer on buying a long list of mods for my 04 GT, they say they'll give me a discount if i buy everything from them. When i asked what brand of cams they'd recommend with the heads and everything they said "our custom ground cams"... Ive heard good things about Hi-Tech Cams, and ... Bad things about comp cams, are custom ground cams something i should be weary of, im assuming that means they grind them inhouse. I know how cams work and everything about the lift and duration, how it affects HP and torque and all that... Well ive read about it anyway, but im not really familiar with what each brands/models claim to fame is. Thanks for any info you can provide :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

+1 for the hiTech stage IIs, I have them but I don't have them installed yet. One thing about the hiTechs are you won't loss the low end tq like you do with other stage II cams. Also all the reviews on the hitechs are positive. I can't wait untill mine are installed.

Im not calling you guys out... but twelves with 280-300ish HP Automatics? What else have you had done those are impressive times, i'd like to do that. I am planning on buying heads, cams, plenum, mani, fuel... and honestly didnt think i'd make twelves until i got about 350 hp. But i dont know anything, If you can get those times with 300 hp then, maybe i dont need all that, are your cars lightened or something? Im pretty sure mach's have about 300hp at the crank, and sometimes break out of 14's with some mods. Maybe its the automatics hmmm.... Well just wondering.

Im not calling you guys out... but twelves with 280-300ish HP Automatics? What else have you had done those are impressive times, i'd like to do that. I am planning on buying heads, cams, plenum, mani, fuel... and honestly didnt think i'd make twelves until i got about 350 hp. But i dont know anything, If you can get those times with 300 hp then, maybe i dont need all that, are your cars lightened or something? Im pretty sure mach's have about 300hp at the crank, and sometimes break out of 14's with some mods. Maybe its the automatics hmmm.... Well just wondering.

we had one car make 303rwhp threw an auto with the hitech stage IIs, full bolt ons. normally its around 290 threw threw the auto. mach 1s with a tune and bolt ons have been in the mid 12s. my car went 12.9 full weight.

We are talking rwhp not crank hp. So 300rwhp is around 360 hp at the motor. That plus some 3.73 or 4.10 gears you should be in the 12s without a problem.

what else do you have done?

sorry for taking some time in getting back, but here are my mods...

Accufab 70mm TB+Plenum Combo
MAC CAI
Comp 262's
Steeda U/D Pullies
MAC LT's
O/R X Pipe
Magnaflow Catback
3800 Stall
4.10's
Dyno Tune

12.8 was achieved at full weight, only removed front sway bar.
full interior in tact, etc
weather was in the high 70's/low 80's
on 285 NItto street tires, not drag radials

im sure with weight reduction, my telstars and some good weather, 12.50-12.60 is achievable.

So a cammed 2V Vert automatic can basically come within a few car lengths of a Supercharged DOHC 4V 6spd hard top? Interesting....

And here i thought my car was doomed to be slow, then again im still not sure i buy that statement, but it is interesting

So a cammed 2V Vert automatic can basically come within a few car lengths of a Supercharged DOHC 4V 6spd hard top? Interesting....

And here i thought my car was doomed to be slow, then again im still not sure i buy that statement, but it is interesting[/QUOTE

Whats so hard to buy? that a car with a lot more horsepower than stock and N/A can run similar to a car with more power? For all of the quick Gts I have seen I can say ive seen just as many 03-04 cobras running ****ty times mid to high 13s for example

check this out a slick top GT fully bolted with longtubes and Vt stg 1's hits 12.7s at almost 108 :jaw:
YouTube - 2003 cammed mustang gt

heres a vid from early 08, weather was windy, humid and in the mid/high 90's....on telstars w/275 MT Drag Radials...cams had just been installed a few days prior, aswell as dyno tune.

View attachment 281720

my car has **** for weight transfer, i have no suspension mods but it did ok....now that i ran a 12.8 in "winter" on street tires, i want to go back and try it out on the centerlines w/mt's and see what she'll hit, im in no rush tho.

bassani catback in vid btw. :)