Camshaft Choices

• Sponsors (?)

The heads that were sold to me then put bronze guides in, and springs wouldn't flow oil to the top of the head correctly, specifically the driver's side head. Leaving much of the valve train oil lacking, including the cam followers which stay collapsed, making that noise. Head swap numero dose in process

your changing the heads again, that rely sucks, good luck this time:nice:

Your right, I didn't see the H. It is a NPI cam. Which means the lift is .500 not .550...I have a set of XE274H cams for sale * cough cough* Only about 1k miles very good shape. 250 takes them

i think i read that up somewhere that they were npi cams. are there any advantages or setbacks from running npi aftermarket cams on a pi motor? is that a good cam?

sorry to the original poster, not trying to steal your threat just hoping to get something cleared out.
no advantages in running a NPI cam on a PI motor, it's tailored for the NPI set-up and has less lift - so nothing really to gain from using it in a PI combo.

alright this might sound a bit noobish. but higher lift is better for more top end and a higher power band right? or am i confusing that with duration? im assuming the pi heads had lower lift to make power down low with their more restrictive heads and the pi heads are vice versa?
you're half right if that 1st pi you mentioned was supposed to be NPI. Duration is length of time the valve is open considering any point in the lift cycle - measure by degrees, yet that's not the only determinant - as LSA or lobe separation also measures the period (in degrees) of time in between the exhaust/intake cycle, but its actual number is specific to the cam and doesn't tell you the whole story as it is the sum of two figures that are then halved. The lift is in actual inches, the further it needs to lift with a constant duration means the faster the valves are traveling into the cylinder and therefore the faster it needs to re-seat often requiring higher seat pressure valve springs.

yeah thats what i meant. my mistake. so someone posted earlier that the cams i posted up were a little more aggresive compared to theirs. assuming they were pi cams as well. but then somebody pointed out they were npi cams they turned out to be a "stage 1". is there that much difference in cams even in the aftermarket for npi and pi heads? what would the 268H be comparable too in a pi aftermarket cam?
Actually it goes like this:

........Stage 1......Stage 2......Stage3
NPI....262H..........268H..........274H
PI.....262AH........270AH........278AH

So the 262H is actually their NPI stage I, but even tho the 268 has more duration giving it that more lopy sound IMO, the 262AH has more lift and a tighter LSA so i think they perform rather equally.